Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flash and Url Links

Hi All,

I have a flash animation with text object that links to a html file.

The link works fine when previewed in Xara's browser window, however when the file is exported as a '.swf' the link does not appear to work.

I'm sure I am missing something blindingly obvious but what. As yet only the 'Members' is supposed to do anything.

Thanks in advance,

SteveT
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: Flash and Url Links

Looks fine to me.
    IP

Your link is wrong:
    file://C:/Scratch/LORC MkII/Members_Page.html

You should not be linking to your C: drive

Should only be (depending on your site mapping):
    Members_Page.html
    IP

Sledger,
    Thanks For looking at the problem. I have spent all day trying various links with different prefixes to the URL, '//' etc.etc.

The link 'Members_Page.html' alone, does not work in the Xara preview, and that's with all the files in the same directory.

I've tried changing the drive the files are on, different machines, different operating systems, different browsers, all with the same result.

Can you actually 'call' an external file from within a Xara generated flash file?

Cheers,

SteveT
    IP

The Xtreme *preview* (as far as I know) is using a temp folder, not your source folder, so it will work where you have entered the full drive path in Xara but not externally.
    Your URL needs only be relative to the root of your site for it to function on the web.
    For example, if the Members_Page.html is in a sub folder from the root called lorc, you would enter the URL in Xtreme as lorc/Members_Page.html
    It may not work in the Xtreme preview,(where a preview is only really to check how it looks and 'PRE' view the flash animation (if any)) but any links will function correctly when uploaded to your webspace.
    IP

Sledger,

Thanks again for looking at my question.

I had convinced myself that what I was trying to do wouldn't work, so it didn't!

I have now uploaded the files, as you suggested and the links do indeed work.

I am still curious as to why the links don't work in any of my browsers, although the animation is fine.

I am now more motivated to persevere with Xara Xtreme.

Thanks again,

Steve T
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatToo View Post
    I had convinced myself that what I was trying to do wouldn't work, so it didn't!
    The Power of Attraction - the force is strong
    IP