Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question help please newbie

I have two questions that I hope some one can help me with.
    Firstly I run vista (cause hubby bought me a new laptop), and I have a problem loading .ufo files...it locks up photoimpact when I try to load them, and I can't even delete them from my laptop, it's like vista doesn't recognise them...i'm pulling my hair!!!!

secondly the copy of Photoimpact 10 SE I got with my wacom tablet, the only trouble is I doesn't appear that a lot of the basic custom shapes come with it ie heart, arch etc which is frustrating as some of the tut's I have been trying to follow use these shapes....is there a way I can make shapes and install them? or is there somewhere I can go to download these shapes...and how would I do this???

sorry if this seems a lot of questions for my first post, but I really like this program and would like to continue using it as my main photo editing/designing program.

Thank you for any help offered
    IP

Default Re: help please newbie

Hello nanwu, welcome to the forum. Just a thought, are .ufo and .ufp files associated with Photoimpact on your laptop? Go to File menu, Preferences/System/Associate.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

hey bob, thanks for the help but I already tried this....I think the problem actually has something to do with vista as I never had any trouble on my old xp....
    IP

Nothing to do with Vista, it's because PI 10 is older than Vista and built for Windows98/Me/2000/XP, Ulead did not write it to work with an OS that wasn't even finished and released.

Now Corel own PhotoImpact and is at version 13 (X3) which is built to run on Vista.

You can try this:
    Remove PI entirely (uninstall)
    Reboot the PC - then install again but this time as Administrator (right-click the setup file and choose Run as Administrator)
    Once done, start the program for the first time in the same way from the desktop shortcut (or programs menu).
    IP

thank you for your help sledger, I am going to try this later when my son is around, he knows a lot more about computers than I do so he can watch me do it....will let you know how I get on
    IP

In respect of the second question in your original post, I'm not sure how much content has been stripped out of the Special Edition of PI 10, but you could always download a 30 day free trial of the full version from here and use that to get the custom shapes and other goodies. It may be possible to cannibalize the content of the full verion and add it to your SE version. Not sure of the ethics of this possibility, but that's for you to decide. Another possibility is that using your current installation of the program, you could go to the Help Menu/Product Updates on the Web and see what is available there.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 06 November 2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I'm running X3 and even it still has some Vista issues but runs with only minor
    problems using "run as administrator" as Steve suggests.
    I have had the same problem with opening some ufo files and finally caught on to the fact they seemed to be connected to whether or not I physically typed in the ".ufo" file extension. I have not had a problem since.
    The bad files are hopelessly corrupted and still reside in my folder, I can not figure out how to get rid of them.
    IP

Jerr, when you try to delete the .ufo files, do you get messages like this?:
    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
    If so, you need a little free program called Unlocker, available here. If it cannot delete the files, there is an option for you to be able to delete them at next reboot. Works with Vista.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

I had the same problem with version 11. I finally upgraded to PhotoImpact X3 and it mostly runs better. However, when I use Xara Xtreme, Windows Vista frequently requests that I insert the original PI X3 disk as it wants to check on something ( not sure what ).
    That little routine quickly gets tiresome.
    But at least with PhotoImpact X3, Windows it doesn't lock up and crash with the White screen of death anymore.
    - Andy
    Last edited by AndFarr; 14 November 2008 at 06:43 AM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr View Post
    when I use Xara Xtreme Windows Vista is frequently requesting that I insert the original PI X3 disk as it wants to check on something ( not sure what ).
    That little routine quickly gets tiresome.
    Close any open or docked galleries, then close Xtreme.
    Next time you open it, it should not make this request again.

It's a known bug.
    IP