Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: stop & Post November 2008

My fifteen minutes of fame. (Political - If you are offended by politics don't go here)

Great work, Gary! And you found the right words. Good luck for tomorrow.

Remi

On road signs. I don't know about in other parts of the world but over here in Australia, road signs are in plague proportion. Going into a small town I counted 17 government erected signs (relating to the road) on one side of the road going into a small isolated country town.
    I have a friend who does car retrieval for those involved in accidents who lives and works in the same area. He told me the road workers were repairing a bridge - 60 signs were erected on the approach to the bridge, warning of the situation. There were still 3 near fatal accidents. One suggestion was that the drivers were too busy reading all the signs to take notice of the impending traffic hazard. Road signs are big business!
    Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    My fifteen minutes of fame. (Political - If you are offended by politics don't go here)
    Gaz mate, the font you needed was Gotham ... that's the font they used for the campaign graphics

.... http://www.typography.com/fonts/font...tLineID=100008

I know Avant Garde is not the most original font but I wanted a font with round Os.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I know Avant Garde is not the most original font but I wanted a font with round Os.
    There's something nasty about Avant Garde I personally don't like ... I think it's in the 's' ... they're too thin and it makes the whole font unbalanced ... even Avenir is nicer or Centruy Gothic.

I know it's a little too late ... all the voting is going on now but I took 5 minutes to do your sign with the right font ... on the attached file (obviously I've converted the fonts to shapes so it will load right).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary, great job on replacing the Obama signs... and making Huffington! It was the right thing to do, and great publicity (and no better timing! ). I'm sure the effort will pay for itself.

But I have to agree with JA on this one, matching the font would have looked better, especially as 'graphic designer' was mentioned in the write-up. Side by side with the original signage (or what people are used to (fed up) seeing) - yours looks "off"... Closer to "spot on" might have had a little more impact.

Then again, the message and the effort was more import than the design, I guess - cheers for that!

All American friends, get out and vote! Defy the long waits, broken voting machines, confusion and intimidation (that (yet again... ) can only be matched by the banana-"republic"-dictatorships of the 1950s-1970s). I find it fascinating: a zero-gravity toilet in outer space is less of a problem than making voting/democracy work. Still... make sure you... VOTE!

It is a defining vote on so many levels.

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    There's something nasty about Avant Garde I personally don't like ... I think it's in the 's' ... they're too thin and it makes the whole font unbalanced ..........
    Absolutely agree ..... I like the Gotham, but am not going to pay for it ..... If anyone knows of a freeware font similar to Gotham Ultra, can you point me to it please. Thanks.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Oh great signs Gary. Looks like they did not steal enough of the original ones as we still won!
    I also really liked Steve's cat and then the blueprint for how to get rid of the cat. Ha ha!
    And Joke artist your picture is very good too, would like to to see the finished piece.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

ok, I will post a few things I have done in Xtreme recently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thugbaby.png 
Views:	290 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	53457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midgetmascot.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	53458  

Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire