Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default bitmap traced image, I want to read it in cmyk

I converted a photo to vector photorealistic with the bitmap tracer, looks great for what I need, I wanted to be able to read each colour shape in CMYK as I scrolled over it with the colour picker..but it keeps defaulting back to RGB after I change the colour box to cmyk. Is there a way around this?
    I need to gather the cmyk readings faster than having to scroll over a colour and change the drop down to cmyk for each one, as it defaults back to RGB as soon as I move the colour picker back over a different shape..

the help notes read that for transparent images it will read in RGB, but all the shapes in this image are opaque.. this screencap is basically same image, 1 is zoomed in, when I scroll over each shape with the colour picker they default to RGB, I want the readings in CMYK...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmaptracer rgb to cmyk reading.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	53285  

Default Re: bitmap traced image, I want to read it in cmyk

Open Options >> View [tab]

Edit local colors in: This affects the color model displayed when editing a local color.

Automatic displays the color model of the original color style that the local color is based upon. For example, the HSV color model for a color style defined in HSV. This is important if you need to ensure your objects are in CMYK, for example.

The other options let you select which of the four color models (RGB, CMYK, HSV, grayscale) to always use by default.

Xara's native operating color is RGB. According to Charles and Crew, the eyedropper is designed to read RGB. You might get Xara's interpretation of the RGB=>CMYK when you switch to CMYK. This is a known problem from xara X days or earlier. Xara's CMYK is not 100% accurate when transfered to other programs. I doubt you will be happy with the result. We are talking a design limitation not an operations limitation.

The price difference between a xara that is 100% CMYK accurate and what we have now would not be cost effective. If you need 100% accurate CMYK values, better use a program that is built around that. I have yet to find a need for that type of color accuracy myself, even when printed at a 4 color print shop.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Xara's native operating color is RGB.
    I don't believe that is fully accurate John.
    The software installs with 'Automatic' colour mode selected by default.
    This means that for new files, the colour model is HSV (Hue, Saturation, and Value.)

You can however select which colour model you want Xtreme to work with via the Options config as mentioned above.
    Save this as a new template and Xtreme will open it with the colour model option you set.
    The colour picker then works with that model (as stated in the Xtreme help file under search query 'Specifying colors in the Color Editor'

Steve,

I was paraphrasing an in depth color and color picker discussion I had seen a while ago. According to Charles, internally, xara works in RGB and the values are just mathimatically changed based on the model. The color picker only works in RGB and the values it pulls are RGB values. If xara shows another color model it has been done mathematically, thus the slight color differences.

I think the original poster ( I forget the name) was looking to grab CMYK (pantone process color accuracy) with the color picker. I am pretty sure he would be mightily disapointed with the result using a trace and the picker.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

both very helpful and insightful to know...the cmyk works now when I go via the options/view..regards math conversion rgb/cmyk I do remember reading that somewhere in the posts a long way back. I do need the accurate cmyk readings not surrogate.

below screen caps showing different CMYK readings from xara/photoshop of a vector piece.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...hotobucket.jpg

glitches unrelated:
    on another note, teh download (get fills) "contacting host resources2.xara.com wont stop trying to download, the close tab, "stop download" or trying to close it on the task bar doesn`t stop it,has 0% download, I hit get fills in the fill gallery by accident and didnt want to download in the first place, just reporting this. the only way to get rid of it is restart xara.,

also the fill gallery, view options,don`t work when changed, folders are just listed as generic full index as in /----/----/----/ etc..regardless of changing view type.

STUPID ME,
    for readings A, B they are virtually identical ( I HAD THE COLOUR PICKER IN PHOTOSHOP ON SAMPL 5 PIXELS not POINT sample...
    A 15 30 50 0
    B 16 30 50 0
    C 15 30 50 0
    D 7.5, 11.4, 27.8, 0

so photoshop basically reads the cmyk as 15 30 50 0 and xara as 7.5, 11.4, 27.8, 0, still, not sure why when I export a png or jpeg of the vector shape from xara it displays as a square of pixels instead of the flat colour shape if the vector shape is a flat colour, (these png and jpegs were zoomed in 1600% in photoshop)...

MArk,

check what setting you used when you exported the jpg. The higher the compression, the more artifacts you get even with a solid color block. A gif would be smaller and cleaner with a solid color.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

Default cmyk colour readings transferred from xara to photoshop

thankyou Rayner!

the export of GIF 256 colours shows flat, jpeg 100% at 300dpi export shows flat, so does png 256 colours, no dithering, and PDF/X 300dpi. all read cmyk 15 13 50 0,
    since xara is reading different cmyk percentages does this mean its not giving correct cmyk readings? or is this difference based on the colour profile set up in photoshop.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...otoshopcs2.gif

Hi Mark,

The difference is probably due to different algorithms used to calculate the cmyk values.

Computers work with and display rgb. CMYK values must be calculated and there is no direct correspondence between rgb and cmyk so algorithms can and do vary between different software companies. CMYK are colours of pigment used in printer ink and cannot be accurately reproduced on computer screens.

Use of rgb to compare colours between applications is the most accurate method.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update