Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Is this possible? Text hand drawing

Hey guys,
    Do you think it's possible to create something like this in Xara Xtreme? Or is it better doing it in another program?

If you guys have any idea how to make it, would you please be kind enough to just give me a few tips on how I can get started. (Want to do something like this for my A Level Art) =]

Thanks a lot..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whitehandtype.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	53253  

Default Re: Is this possible?

Hi Z1NX,

I believe it can be done in Xara Xtreme, although it would require a lot of patience and time.

If I were to attempt something like that I would begin with a sketch or an outline of a forearm and hand (including all digits ). Place the arm with hand on a layer and lock that layer.

On a new layer above the arm and hand create the words arm, wrist, palm, and finger. Using the right click and drag to create duplicate words you can resize and/or apply the Mould Tool and rotate into positions to fill in the arm and hand on the layer below.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Z1NX,

I believe it can be done in Xara Xtreme, although it would require a lot of patience and time.

If I were to attempt something like that I would begin with a sketch or an outline of a forearm and hand (including all digits ). Place the arm with hand on a layer and lock that layer.

On a new layer above the arm and hand create the words arm, wrist, palm, and finger. Using the right click and drag to create duplicate words you can resize and/or apply the Mould Tool and rotate into positions to fill in the arm and hand on the layer below.
    Awesome, I'll try it that way..If you had a complicated shape though (Say a flower) rather than just creating a freehand outline as you said, is there a way to 'trace' it; Maybe have the picture on top, and make it transparent, or is there a better way?

Also, what did you mean by "including all digits"?!

Thanks =]

you don't have to use freehand - you can use the shape editor tool to trace a photo

by digits I think Bill means the fingers segments - fingers contain three bones and are hardly if ever straight
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, Steve is correct. By digit I mean fingers and thumb. The ancient latin word digita means fingers and when I was a boy digit meant fingers.

Wiki reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_digit
    Last edited by Soquili; 28 October 2008 at 04:53 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

only two bones in a thumb by the way

digit is from the latin for finger - but includes thumbs when we use it in anatomy, agreed
    Nothing lasts forever...

You can do this quite quickly using the Mould tool after creating your own envelopes.►

1● Create your image as a single shape.
    2● Divide it into smaller simpler shapes. Each shape should have a total of 4 nodes.
    3● Arrange some words in a box and group them.
    4● Duplicate the 'text box' for the amount of shapes that you have.
    5● Copy each shape (into the clipboard).
    6● Select a 'text box'.
    7● Click on the mould tool.
    8● Click on the [paste envelope] (the first clipboard icon).
    9● Repeat this for each shape.
    10● Using the [mould tool] adjust the nodes to perfect the shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moulded-car.gif 
Views:	312 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	53256  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    True love is the ultimate truth

that's a good example

need to carefully work out what segments you are going to break the arm and hand down to, and then start experimenting and building up complexity

consider using layers - you can quickly chop and change visually between alternatives that way - and build up the effect in stages..
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you don't have to use freehand - you can use the shape editor tool to trace a photo

by digits I think Bill means the fingers segments - fingers contain three bones and are hardly if ever straight
    Oh right, I had no idea that digits was another term for fingers..I guess i'm too young to know..?!

Using the Shape Editor tool, how would you make a perfect outline of an image? Would you have both, the image and a blank canvas next to each other and copy? Or is there a way to trace?

Sorry if these questions are really silly..I only bought Xara Xtreme the other day!

Thanks.

The art is in the placement of the text.

As far as I am aware no program will do this easily. Xara Xtreme is probably better than most for positioning, rotating and resizing the text in this situation.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 28 October 2008 at 03:56 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.