Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Flash Player Content

When viewing TG posts having inline flash animation with IE and player10.0.12.36 the animations do not display.
    Last edited by Soquili; 28 October 2008 at 01:16 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Remi, et al,

If I remember correctly, there are at least two different versions of the Flash Player Plug-ins, one for IE based browsers and another for Mozilla based browsers. I suspect that the IE Flash plug-in just hasn't caught up with you like it did with Egg's browsers. YET!

Beware...

Remi, I get the same blank place holder. It must be an issue with the latest Flash player. As I stated earlier I could view the swf's in IE but now I can't view the same link in IE either.

There's obviously a bug in the latest player.

I'll refrain from "Death by Monitor" for the present.

Thank's for the input. I did a web search on this issue but came up with nothing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I did a web search on this issue but came up with nothing.
    Well, somebody has to be first. You didn't step forward. We all took one step back.

I remember that there were some changes with Fileuploads and Flash 10 Player and I followed the mentioned links in this Blog article to the Adobe forum. Beside other problems with the Flash 10 Player I've found the following thread

Based on my old example animation I've found out that TG's webserver is sending a response header with the following content:
    content disposition attachment; filename*=ISO-8859-1''please_do_not_touch_animation.swf

The "content disposition: attachment" doesn't work with Adobe Flash Player 10 anymore and must be changed at the webserver:
    Contact the server administrator, inquiring whether the "Content-Disposition: attachment" header can be removed.
    See also:

Remi

I've reported this thread to the TG server sys admin (Dan)

Hi,

Unfortunately the new Flash player has begun to properly implement the correct behaviour when it encounters HTTP headers:

"Starting with version 10,0,2, if Flash Player sees a "Content-Disposition: attachment" header while downloading a SWF file, it will ignore the SWF file rather than play it. Note that this restriction applies only to SWF files and not to other types of content, such as images, sounds, text, or XML files, policy files, etc."
    (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer10_security_changes_02.html#head32)

The vbulletin code itself is quite clear in that it will allow image files (jpg, gif etc) to be displayed 'inline' in the browser, but it explicitly sets other files to be downloaded only, "because of a possible XSS issue in IE".

As far as I can tell, the only reason this works in the older flash players is because Adobe did not properly implement recognising HTTP headers previously, and played files that it shouldn't have.

I have tried to override this setting manually (perhaps not the best idea anyway) through the control panel but the change is ignored.

I'm afraid for now there doesn't seem to be of making this work. Of course, let me know if anyone comes up with something I've missed.

Thanks,
    Dan (Server admin)

See also:

"...Also, Flash Player 10 now honors the attachment content-disposition header as being content that shouldn’t be displayed in the browser, whereas earlier versions did not. This change brings us in line with browser behavior for that header. Some web servers are set to use the attachment content-disposition header with SWFs. Thanks, Emmy Huang Group Product Manager, Adobe Flash Player"

Update:
    Thanks to combined efforts and an executive decision at Xara, it looks like it may be possible to restore inline Flash at TalkGraphics.

Stay tuned for more (hopefully) good news.

Great news Steve. It was only set to get worse as more members upgraded to FP10. Let's hope it's do'able.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host