Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flash as animation only

I actually have a little bit of experience with flash, but only as a rough animation tool and not as a web program -- oddly enough. A lot of people are criticizing the "flash" look as too artificial or flat or what have you, but I had yet to find a 2-d animation tool that is this intuitive.

But, I haven't really been looking for one either.

Any thoughts? Is it foolish to use Flash for animatin' when there are better solutions out there?
    IP

Default Re: Flash as animation only

Quote Originally Posted by daveslanders View Post
    Is it foolish to use Flash for animatin' when there are better solutions out there?
    Examples of 'better solutions'?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Examples of 'better solutions'?
    That's exactly my question...if there are none, then...for the first time I feel like I am on the right track!
    IP

Ah right, "If there are better solutions" ?

I think Flash is primarily a web delivery tool for rich and/or interactive content (including embedding other media such as audio and video) which can also entertain as well as inform.
    MS Silverlight is a competing technology, but again - designed with web delivery in mind.

I confess I don't follow (or use) it due to not being a fan of any animation on websites (due mostly to the use of animated figs and .swf for advertising).

So for the web, if you're going to use animation, you pretty much need to take account of the common denominator then use the technology that will be sure to display in all web browsers.
    IP

Flash is used by a lot of people for a lot more than just the web - TV shows and the like.

But this might be a useful link:

http://www.calicomonkey.com/blog/animation-programs.php

Paul
    IP

Yes I believe South Park is built using flash.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Flash is used by a lot of people for a lot more than just the web - TV shows and the like.

But this might be a useful link:

http://www.calicomonkey.com/blog/animation-programs.php

Paul
    This is exactly what I was needing -- thanks a ton

Yes, I think South Park is done in flash, also the cartoon "Home Movies" (great show) which has more of a flash look
    IP

'Pencil' looks interesting. I might try and find some time to take a closer peak..
    IP

I know of a piece of software thats creates animated flv's its called alteregos the website is alteregos.com
    IP