Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Foiling the feline

Get a dog, a big one that kills cats and barks all night.

Set a cat trap...

A noose on one end...
    A young sapling on the other...
    A bungee cord stretched taught between em.

when cat triggers the trap... noose tightens aound the cats neck and the sappling/bungee whap the heck out of the cat...

If you film it... You can see if the cat will land on it's feet...

If I had time I would do an animation showing the cat getting whapped.
    Last edited by raynerj1; 27 October 2008 at 01:02 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I'm a bit worried about people on here wanting to kill cats. If a human child was putting muddy paws ... errmm hands ... on the car you wouldn't immediately think of killing the child would you? You can reason more with the child than the cat, but that's not the cat's fault and no excuse to kill it. If the boot was on the other paw I'm sure the cat wouldn't want to kill you. Might do if it read some of these posts though

How about telling your neighbours the problem and getting them to keep the cat indoors for a couple of hours while you clean your car? If the cat doesn't see you it wont run rings round your human frailties.

Or get a bike.

PS I think Steve's suggestion - "it may be something in the stuff you currently use that attracts it" - is probably correct.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

John I'd not worry. Pretty much all responses here are in good humour.

It's a figure of speech when I say "I want to kill it"
    Just as a parent might say to a misbehaving child "Do that again and I'll kill you, you naughty little *****"

Take it as you will.

OK.
    No - it's nothing to do with anything I wash the car with. Unless you think the Cat likes clorine or fluoride.
    I use *only* water.

The neighbours don't give a sh*t and will not leave the cat inside.
    They just say "Hose him"
    But of course the cat is much to quick for this. Plus I am not there 24/7 to watch out for him. I'm not saying that he hides in the bushes while I wash the car and the instant my back is turned, he jumps onto it!!
    It can be at any time of the day.

I have a bike, but I think picking up and delivery of computer equipment would be a little tricky

I have a garage, but this is now used as a shop.
    I cannot cover the car, because I use it regularly.

What I'm certain of, is that it is not an uncommon problem or issue.
    Therefore I'm hopefull that someone has found a humane way to prevent this behaviour from happening.

I did mention that I wanted serious the matter taken seriously :P

buy some cat nip, and pick a specific spot in the owner's yard which abuts your property and well away from where the car is parked, and start sprinkling a bit there on the days you want to wash your car... that ought to keep it busy for a while and away from the car

If that doesn't work... bb's are much faster than cats, and just hurt an awful lot, but won't kill em (unless you buy one of those $400.00 professional models) Just an average $20.00 Red Ryder should do it

Another thing to do is... each time it happens... make some mud in your back yard and splatter it all over the neighbors car each time it happens. Tell them you'll stop, when the cat stops

Our gun laws prohibit ownership of any kind of gun, pellet or otherwise. Even shanghai's are illegal here (catapult, slingshot)

Mud on the neighbours car, impossible - their's is locked up in a garage.

They live on the opposite side of the road to me and the cat has to cross the road to make his visits.

As mentioned, he's not there waiting for me to wash the car, or indeed jumping on it immediately afterwards. He simply get's up to his mischief after I have washed it.

I've read about pepper sprinkled on the car being a deterrent, but this fails to work for two reasons, smooth paintwork is slippery and any slight breeze simply blows it away.

Something like this may be worthwhile to try?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 27 October 2008 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

Does anyone know of a method (which has worked) to prevent cats from getting on their cars?

Hmm maybe wax it reallly good so when he jumps on the car
    he just slides off?
    be aware, not to become a ware.

This product is available here in Australia for AUD$99

A testimonial:
    "Happily, since mounting the CatStop on the ceiling of our carport, cats paw tracks have become a thing of the past. We never touch the CatStop; it's always left turned on and mounted in it's position above where we park and it does it's job of chasing the cats without any further action on our parts… We are very pleased with the products performance."
    I. Thomson
    This may be the answer?

Anyone had experience with ultrasonic cat deterrents?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 27 October 2008 at 07:43 AM.

chlorine [and all fluorides] can be harmful to cats if they drink them - they can make them ill - which is presumably why many won't drink chlorinated tap water

but it is also well known that many cats are attracted to the smell of these chemicals - could almost be human eh?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've ordered the 'CatStop'

I'll report on it's success (or otherwise) in due course.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 27 October 2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Removed off-topic content