Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Foiling the feline

automated targeting, driven spray nozzel with sensor activation hahaha (and feline recognition software)

Possible - but much less satisfying

I happen to be a cat lover (I prefer them to most humans to be honest).

Commendable that the catstop device only subjects the animal to a screeching noise when it enters the sensor area.

Detestable that the owners of the poor cat in question have seen fit to attach a bell around its neck so whenever it moves it's subjected to a ringing noise about 2 inches from it's ears. Poor animal. Maybe it comes to your house when it sees you outside in the hope that you'll rescue him from his personal audio hell. Maybe the catstop thing is a welcome relief from the constant ringing in his ears.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Something like this may be worthwhile to try?
    I don't think your own cat would be keen.

If you actually get to see this cat on top of your vehicle, I would suggest keeping it under a carport with a bucket of water rigged on top so that you can yank a rope and give the cat a good shower. That might deter it's visits and clean off some footprints at the same time!

Alternatively I have a disc drive I can sell you for £100 that would be throwable and allow you to improve your german language skills, music appreciation and take you on a photo tour of chicago!

Jimi, believe it or not, I am a cat lover too. They are my favorite pet after birds. For this reason the bell is a blessing. It saves countless birds from being eaten by cats who need to have something to play with. As I mentioned in another thread, 500,000 birds are killed by cats every year in Wisconsin USA. That's just one state and we have 50 states.

My friend, Lynn, is a cat lover too (she had 12 cats at one time) and she was attacked and scarred by a feral cat that she tried to pet. She did not know it was feral and it did not run away when she approached it. I was there when it jumped on her face. This is the problem with cats running loose. If you love your cat it should be inside.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    If you love your cat it should be inside.

Sorry - shouldn't that be if you love birds?

Cats are not indoor animals - they will get fat, stressed, and live an all together tedious unhealthy life style, and just so some human can feel good because they have a 'pet' that they 'take care of'

No offence, it's pure self-indugence IMO
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

With you 100% on that one Steve. One doesn't own a cat. They choose to stay with you.

Yes cats kill birds. And mice and rats and countless insects and other small creatures. It's their instinct to do so. In the wild they need to do that to survive. It's how the food chain works. Domesticated cats do it instinctively and usually play with their prey as they aren't really hungry.

I have no problem with anybody who wants to put a bell or a collar around a cats neck as long as they're prepared to have one around theirs too.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    fat, stressed, and live an all together tedious unhealthy life style
    Jesus Steve, if you're going to get personal about me, there's no need to do it in open forum! http://mail.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/m...ticons7/20.gif

perhaps you should have stayed in your natural environment too Mr K
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Being an animal lover in general, or a lover of cats and birds in particular one has to accept that there are differences between species that cannot be resolved.
    It is a fact of life that different species kill and eat each other, most do it..."And that's why birds do it, bees do it even educated fleas do it,
    Let's do it, let's fall in love"*... ahem, sorry, lost my train of thought there for a moment.
    Nature is red in tooth and claw.
    Dogs can generally be trained to curb their instincts, (but whether or not they should be is debatable) and cats cannot.
    I love animals, cats being my particular favourites. Animals should be appreciated for what they are and when the kill, they do so, generally, to survive, unlike humans.
    We have to come to terms with those things that we don't like that some animals do. I don't believe it is right to bell a cat, for example.
    Birds are lovely to look at, but I don't believe it is right to cage them. They have the right to take the risk if cats try to kill them. Birds annoy me by waking me too early
    in the morning during the spring and summer months, they crap all over my car and magpies used to bother my old cat, attacking and trying to peck him in pairs.
    Magpies and crows are the worst, their cawing is awful and they strut around with their hands in their pockets like teddy boys or spivs on motorways playing chicken with the traffic (sorry Maya)
    There, just my two (hopefully humorous) centimos.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

*"Let's Do It" - Cole Porter.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.