Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Corel's version vs. JASC PSP9?

I started using PSP at version 4, to do the graphics for my thesis. Since then I've upgraded twice, to 7 and then to 9--the last version before Corel bought them out. I know that at the very least Corel hobbled it by deleting Animation Shop, which is still my favorite go-to app for making animated .gifs.

So, if I were to consider upgrading again, what else has Corel done to it, good and bad? My attitude is they tried to take it out of competition with Corel Draw so probably did it more harm than good (like they did when they completely killed WebDraw, the best SVG editor out there at the time), hence my stopping at 9. Still, I saw there's an active forum about it here and you guys would be more honest than I'd expect from Corel's own forums, so I'm asking here. I'm liking Xtreme but I have years invested in PSP so I hate just to abandon it.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Spinny; 03 March 2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: because Xara is the company, Xtreme is the application. D'oh!
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com
    IP

Default Re: Corel's version vs. JASC PSP9?

I still use PSP 8 on a regular basis, although I have PSP X and have used X1 and X2 on a trial basis. I don't think that there have been any worthwile improvements in the newer versions to justify the expense. I'm rather suspicious of the Corel business ethic, it seems they bring out new versions very regularly with little justification.
    By the way, animated .gifs are a snap with Xara Xtreme.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Hi Spinny,

Like Bob I stopped upgrading PSP at version 8.

I have used the trial version of X2 but didn't find it worth upgrading.

A good replacement application for Animation Shop is Gif Movie Gear:
    http://www.gamani.com/

Although I use Xara Xtreme to create all my gif and swf animations.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks, guys. I noted that Xtreme does .gif animations (and Flash, which Animation Shop lacks) but I've only had Xtreme for a few days (and my computer's been ailing since Sunday, new hard drive arrives tomorrow) so there's been no time to explore all the features. If I need something done quickly I'll go to the app I know well, warts and all. I really do want to see what Xtreme can do in this arena, you bet, and it may very well turn out that I'm converted and poor Animation Shop will be left orphaned.

I probably would have stopped at PSP 7 but I got the upgrade to 9 (and the WebDraw) as part of a job I did a few years back. Sometimes I get to keep the tools as part of the deal.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    IP

Very little new in X over 9. X1 I never used for more then a day. X2 I use daily does have some new tools. But Being able to buy it for only £25 was what desided me.

Most of what coral have done is add one step buttons. Basically what psp could already do but scripted to a button
    IP

Appreciate the input, thanks. I figured there was no good reason to pony up for an update, you guys have pretty much nailed that down for me. Besides, now I have to work learning Xtreme into my day; I have enough new toys to get used to already.
    IP