Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Simple Flash help for a total novice...?

Hi. I'm new to this forum. So hello!
    I'd like to benefit from people's knowledge of web type stuff....without offering any in return! I'm pretty hot on Adobe Creative Suite though, so I may be able to help with any questions related to that.

So....
    I'm building a site that will include a portfolio page. This will consist of a series of small thumbnails. What I'd like to do is have a flash animation that opens up a larger version - of whichever thumbnail you click - in it's own panel.

I've seen this used on LOADS of sites. The image first drops down, then expands horizontally, then a little bit drops down from the bottom with the X on it so you can close the panel. I'd like to create that, or something similar. I'm assuming it's a standard bit of code as I've seen it all over the place...but I don't have a CLUE how I'd go about creating it and putting it in my site.
    Can I get this as a simple bit of HTML? I do have an old version of Flash, but I've never really looked at it. I'm hoping there's an easier option!

To construct the site I'm only using Dreamweaver UltraDev 4. It's old, but it suits my purposes.
    If anyone could help/suggest something that would be great!

Default Re: Simple Flash help for a total novice...?

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

What you are referring to is known generically as a 'lightbox'.
    Rather than flash it is actually Javascript.

Free lightbox scripts can be found all over the web.

I use a small web album freebie called PixelPost which use the same technology.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 23 October 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Ah excellent! Thanks a lot. I shall investigate this further. I am a man of moderate intelligence so I should be ok.....

Thanks for the help Sledger....but I'm a bit stuck. I really am a beginner with web stuff!

This is from the setup instructions for Lightbox 2:

# Include the Lightbox CSS file (or append your active stylesheet with the Lightbox styles).

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/lightbox.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

# Check the CSS and make sure the referenced prev.gif and next.gif files are in the right location. Also, make sure the loading.gif and close.gif files as referenced near the top of the lightbox.js file are in the right location.

Now, I have no idea what my 'active stylesheet' is or how I append it with 'the lightbox styles'. Also, I need to make sure various files are in the right location. What's the right location?!

Some help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi Sledger. If you were going to reply, son't bother. I have worked it out and am now sitting in the warm glow of success!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction in the firstplace though.