Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: xaralx and slackware not working properly?

Hi,
    running slackware-current here...had to remove openoffice to get xaralx to run. I installed using the instructions I posted on this forum some months ago.
    IP

Wow, that's odd... So what is it about the latest OOo that effects XaraLX? Not a huge surprise as I recall when I was trying to upgrade to the prior to last release of InkScape, a warning came up that ImageMagik would be removed...
    So, I imagine the problem with the newer OOo is maybe to do with the graphics areas?

It gets difficult sometimes, when some apps are upgraded by it's devs, and others are not, and they begin to create conflict in the middle like this

BTW, thanks for the heads up Con
    IP

When starting Xaralx I got this error msg telling me OpenOffice-impress.desktop couldnt be found and then Xaralx segfaulted. I downloaded the OOo package from linuxpackages.net, I think it was a bad package since I dont see any reason why OOo would affect Xaralx.

Also Xaralx, .tar.bz2 package atleast, is statically linked (libs are compiled into binary) so it shouldnt have any dependecies.
    IP

Strange.... So, you are not able to have XaraLX and OOo on the same system then? You're absolutely right, neither should be effecting the other.

I'm gonna see what I can find about this... cuz now I'm stummped :P
    IP

from what I see so far... it might be related to OOo's "xml draw" feature.

xml draw-impress.desktop, (there is also templates impress.desktop)

so... xml libs might have a conflict? libxml xx
    IP

Yup... XaraLX depends on libxml2... which at the same time breaks OpenOffice
    Wonderful....

Gonna have to find a fix for this one

Well, at least there is KOffice for KDE users
    IP

Hey Con... Here is a Deb mailing list where a solution was found, involves getting into the OOo build though, need to change the version it's looking for.

It should be the same across the board (not just for deb)

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-u...msg494437.html

Hope that helps.
    IP

You know, I'm glad I don't use Linux .... Just following this thread makes me realise how little I know about it. Sometimes, I'm not even sure you people are even talking English. Good luck with the fix.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Sorry for all the running posts... but, here is a link to follow the reported bug from the beginning to end.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/piper...er/003412.html

I guess it is safe to say either way, that the problem with running XaraLX and OOo together lies within the libxml2, and the core of it is in OOo needing to be looking for libxml2

If anyone finds this incorrect, please let me know so we can dig more. Thanks
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    You know, I'm glad I don't use Linux .... Just following this thread makes me realise how little I know about it. Sometimes, I'm not even sure you people are even talking English. Good luck with the fix.
    hehe.. Thanks Keith... (I think)

Actually, it's not at all as bad as it looks. The biggest plus here is... "when it's broke... we can just do some research, then get into the software and fix it" And not have to spend countless hours on the phone with a tech support personnel who often seem to know even less than the person who's calling for help does
    IP