Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy xaralx and slackware not working properly?

i installed xaralx a couple different ways,first i downloaded a tgz.for slack,and the gui came up for xara but with no template.so i opened the template folder and selected the portrait template.what i got was this;an error occured(file does not exist)when opening the file a4.this happens with all templates.so obvious ly i cant use xara!
    i also down loaded the autopackage and ran it successfully.but i get the same error?
    now heres the kicker it used to work!but now it doesnt?slack is stable and usually i can run just about anything.im using kde 3.9 and using the stable version of xaralx.
    ver..7rev16.im baffled cause it used to work.does anyone have some answers or ideas on how i can fix this?any help would be highly appreciated!!!!!
    Rick
    IP

Default Re: xaralx and slackware not working properly?

Rick what has changed on your system?

Did you install a new release of slackware?

Is the correct version of wxwidgets installed?

How about the C/C++ versions?

I do not recall all the dependencies for XaraLX and the program has not been updated for over a year. Newer versions of any of the dependencies can break the performance of XaraLX.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Unhappy Re: xaralx and slackware not working properly?

i believe i installed wx gtk,wich has wxwidgets1.8(i think)basically i installed,libmspack,cairo,pango,atk,glib2.0,just to get wx gtk to compile.
    as for whats different im not exactly sure,ive installed alot of dependencies for other programs.im using slack 12.1,and this is a new installation,i had to reinstall after some really bad commands.i used all newer dependencies,so maybe thats the problem.
    i dunno,im completely lost. as for the c++ ihave the standard gcc,and cmake that came with slack.
    IP

XaraLX has not been updated so any of those changes could cause the program to no longer work.

Hopefully one of our members that uses Linux will be along with some more helpful information.

I removed linux from my systems some time ago, so I cannot make any tests.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

well ok.thanx,i also got this message when starting xara from the commandline;
    xaralx:24630): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_move: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
    maybe its a gtk problem?
    Rick
    IP

Rick I think that error is due to a newer version of the GTK+ and it does not recognise a subroutine call being made by XaraLX.

It is possible the routine is named differently in the new version or that it requires different types of parameters to be passed than the older version LX is calling.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Have you gone through and checked that all deps for Xaralx are there in your new install?

check for WxWidgets lib
    and the WxXtra lib
    IP

i think your right!what ill do is uninstall the newer version of gtk and install an older version,ill have to find the page i found and didnt bookmark on installing xaralx.
    ill have to probably redo the dependencies-prereqisits.i think ill look it up and just try gtk first.thanks for the info!!!
    Rick
    IP

gtk+ 2.6.x
    IP

Of course, if a newer gtk+ version is being used, you could either change the version to call within the spec file and repackage it or ask one of slacks devs to look into it
    IP