Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can I give my old copy of PSPX2 to a friend?

Corel and all other Software vendors have these EULAs, and they obviously have to try to protect their interests, and lawyers have to make their money by drawing (and dreaming) up these terms. But in the real world, what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes is beyond their control, and it would be impossible for them to police an instance like this, even if they wanted to. They are really only concerned in trying to prevent what they consider to be intellectual theft by the hackers and bittorrent up and downloaders.
    Far be it from me to suggest that it's perfectly fine for you to break the terms of the agreement in this particular way, but unless you or your friend tells someone else about this, it's not going to become public knowledge. Even if it did become public knowledge and was given huge media coverage so that Corel were bound to find out about the transgression, is anyone going to tell me seriously that Messrs. Corel would pursue the miscreants to the ends of the earth and prosecute them to the full extent of the law? I would just like to point out that this is a personal comment, and in no way reflects the policy of Xara or the TalkGraphics Forum.*
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    * I would also like to point out that as this viewpoint is mine alone, it should not be taken as formal advice, or that I have actively encouraged you to take said advice. I am in no way liable for whatever course of action that you may eventually decide upon.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Hmm. my neighbour is away for a couple of weeks and her car is outside. I might as well borrow it she'll never know..
    IP

Thanks, Sledger
    I'll just tell her to purchase a new one at Best Buy.
    They have the Retail Ultimate this week for $59.99
    IP

You're not serious, are you?
    You do recognize tongue-in-cheek when you see it, don't you?
    I thought I'd gone to great lengths to show my comment was not to be taken seriously. I do take your point, though Paul, it doesn't make it right, but on the other hand your neighbour's neighbours might well see you "borrowing" her car...
    Saludos,
    Bob
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    You're not serious, are you?
    No.

You do recognize tongue-in-cheek when you see it, don't you?
    Yes.

I thought I'd gone to great lengths to show my comment was not to be taken seriously.
    Somehow I missed it.

I do take your point, though Paul, it doesn't make it right, but on the other hand your neighbour's neighbours might well see you "borrowing" her car...
    Saludos,
    Bob
    Yes, you're entirely right - her landlady might split on me (she shares her house)!

Anyway, no harm done, nothing else to see. I suspect you're having better weather than most of us here in the UK right now.. :-(

Paul
    IP

The EULA however includes this line
    1.4 YOU MAY NOT:... (viii)"transfer or assign the Product or any copy thereof, or your License to Use the Product to a third party, if this Product is identified as a Not For Resale (NFR) version.

This of course implies that if it is NOT "identified as a Not For Resale (NFR) version". Then transfering it to a third party is perfectly legal.....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    The EULA however includes this line
    1.4 YOU MAY NOT:... (viii)"transfer or assign the Product or any copy thereof, or your License to Use the Product to a third party, if this Product is identified as a Not For Resale (NFR) version.

This of course implies that if it is NOT "identified as a Not For Resale (NFR) version". Then transfering it to a third party is perfectly legal.....
    I think that there is only one licence and that has been upgraded. The OP can sell/transfer ownership of the licence but that would be of the upgraded software. Buying the upgrade does not confer two licences on the owner. The owner should be able to run either version under their licence but cannot transfer only part of the licence.
    IP

The OP posted
    I just purchased a new retail boxed copy of Ultimate .....
    I didn't read that as upgraded.

I agree if you run upgrades, you must keep all the original copies that you upgraded from - However, I don't believe that this applies in this case.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    The OP posted I didn't read that as upgraded.

I agree if you run upgrades, you must keep all the original copies that you upgraded from - However, I don't believe that this applies in this case.
    You're right. I had the wrong end of the stick. Teach me to skim posts.

If the licence permits transfer, then there's no problem.

<red face>
    My apologies for spreading confusion and misinformation.
    </red face>

:-(
    IP

I'm just going to send it to her and she can worry about it.
    I have no use for two retail copies of the same program, even though I registered them both.
    IP