Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Can I give my old copy of PSPX2 to a friend?

I just purchased a new retail boxed copy of Ultimate and was going to give a friend my boxed copy of the regular PSP X2.

I'm wondering if she would be able to use it being I have already registered the serial number with corel?

What ya think?
    IP

Default Re: Can I give my old copy of PSPX2 to a friend?

The only thing I can think of where your friend may run into a problem is if she tries to upgrade your copy to a future newer version. My own thoughts on this are; Who is to know? Will Corel find out? If they found out, would they send the boys round?
    It is obviously a gift, and one admires your altruism. If you were gaining financially, there might be a case for you to answer, but I cannot see any problem at all.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I think that's a question for Corel? Maybe if you also confirm that this product is no longer registered to you as well then there shouldn't be a problem.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Aside from online product activation (which you may have already done, depending on the distribution type) I would read the EULA file located in the installation folder (license.rtf)

It's fairly long and boring of course. But I believe the relevant passages to look at would be these:

1.3 YOU MAY:
    (i) install and Use one (1) copy of the Product on a Computer up to the Permitted Number of Computers. Except in the case of Product being Used in China, you may also make and Use a second copy of the Product on a home or portable computer provided that copy is never loaded in the RAM (i.e. the memory) of the home or portable computer at the same time it is loaded in the RAM of the primary computer. If the Product is being Used in China, you may not make and Use a second copy of the Product on a home or portable computer;
    (ii) install one (1) copy of the Product on a storage device, such as a network server, Used only to install or run the Product on your other Computers within an internal network up to the Permitted Number. You must acquire and dedicate a license for each Computer on which the Product is installed or run from the storage device. A single license for the Product may not be shared or Used concurrently on different Computers unless you have another agreement with Corel permitting you to do so;
    (iii) make one copy of the Product solely for archive or backup purposes;
    (iv) if this Product includes Clipart and/or Photo Images, Use the Clipart and/or Photo Images only if you comply with the terms set out in the Corel Guidelines for the Use of Clipart and Stock Photo Images below;
    (v) except in the case of Academic/Education/Student and Teacher/Home and Student Edition, OEM Edition and Pre-release Version Products which are non-transferable (see Academic/Education/Student and Teacher/Home and Student Edition Addendum, OEM Edition Addendum and Pre-release Version Addendum below), transfer the Product to someone else only if you assign all of your rights under this License, cease all Use of the Product, erase or destroy any copy (including the hard disk copy) made in support of your Use of the Product, and ensure that the person to whom you wish to transfer the Product agrees to the terms of this License;
    (vi) if you have purchased this Product as an upgrade to a Corel product, you may continue to Use your previous product with this Product. If you transfer this Product, you must either transfer the previous product at the same time you transfer the Product or destroy the previous product at the same time you transfer the Product. If the Product you have purchased is an upgrade of a Corel product, you now may Use that previous product only in accordance with this License;
    (vii) Use only one (1) of the language versions if the Product provides you with a selection of multiple language versions;
    (viii) if this Product includes Show On The Go(TM), Corel PRESENTS Runtime Player(TM) or a similar feature that permits the creation of a runtime slide show presentation, freely copy and distribute the runtime program files together with slide show graphic files developed using the Product; provided you (a) do not use the logo, name, or trademarks of Corel or its licensors other than to indicate that the slide show file was created using Corel(R) Presentations(TM) or another Corel product, (b) include your copyright notice on media containing the runtime program files and/or in a conspicuous place within your slide show file, and (c) indemnify Corel and its licensors against any claims or lawsuits arising from your Use or distribution of the runtime program files as part of the slide show file you distribute. You are responsible for all primary technical support to the end user of any runtime program file you distribute;
    (ix) if this Product contains the slide show player program, "player.exe", you may distribute to third parties the slide shows you create with the "player.exe" solely for the purpose of enabling such third parties to view the slide show(s) packaged in such files. You (and not Corel) assume all responsibility and liability for the content of such materials; and
    (x) only distribute sound file(s) included with the Product to third parties or permit the Use of the sound files(s) by third parties if the sound file(s) are included or embedded with a file (or files) created Using the Product.

1.4 YOU MAY NOT:
    (i) Use the Product or make copies of it other than as permitted in this License except to the extent the foregoing restriction is, by operation of applicable law, prohibited or of no effect;
    (ii) translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Product except to the extent the foregoing restriction is, by operation of applicable law, prohibited or of no effect;
    (iii) rent, lease, assign, sell, sublicense, lend or transfer the Product except as set out in Section 1.3 above;
    (iv) modify the Product or merge all or any part of the Product with another program;
    (v) redistribute the fonts included with the Product;
    (vi) separate the component parts of the Product for Use on more than one (1) Computer except to the extent the foregoing restriction is, by operation of applicable law, prohibited or of no effect;
    (vii) if this Product is an OEM Edition, Use or copy the Product if you received the Product as a stand-alone product. The Use of the OEM Edition Product is subject to the restrictions set out in Section 5;
    (viii) transfer or assign the Product or any copy thereof, or your License to Use the Product to a third party, if this Product is identified as a Not For Resale (NFR) version; and
    (ix) distribute sound file(s) included with the Product to third parties or permit Use of the sound file(s) by third parties except as included or embedded with a file (or files) created Using the Product.
    IP

Yea, I have already registered it online a few months ago and I was wondering if she would have problems if she went to register it herself?
    IP

In brief, almost all EULA's basically point out that you buy the license to use the software on one or (if permitted) more PC's provided you own the PC's and that you only use the software on one PC *at a time* and that it is not loaded into RAM on (any) other PC's at the same time..

You also own the disc but, you don't own the software, only the license to use it.

Transferring the license is sometimes permitted, though online activation usually (but not always) applies to OEM software which is licensed to one PC (the hardware) rather than the purchaser of the software.
    (Windows EULA is like this, OEM versions cannot be transferred to another machine, but the retail versions can (with conditions))
    IP

Wow, this is just too confusing.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Wow, this is just too confusing.
    OK, here's the shorthand version:

In terms of the agreement you have with Corel about the software, you aren't allowed to give your friend the old software, nor is she allowed to use or upgrade the old copy in her name.

Whether or not she could use the software regardless is a separate issue, but legally she cannot.

Paul
    IP

i understand something else from this...

if you uninstal your x2 from pc

you girl friend may use it...

so it means it may be only at one COMPUTER when used otherwise is a copy a copy is not allowed...

so when your girl uninstal it you may use it back etc....

this is how it is with law i understand from eula....

but i say what dont know it doesnt dare....
    IP

That appears to be an incorrect understanding.
    As mentioned in section 1.4 (iii), you may not sublicense.

In any case, I'm not aware of any lawyers here at TG so it would be wiser (as mentioned earlier) to contact Corel for a definitive answer.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 07 October 2008 at 11:15 AM.
    IP