Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Text in a helix shape

Help, please.

I am looking for away to place text in a helix along a line...

What I mean is to take the word 'ContraStore' and have each letter in turn rotated away from the observer such that it looks as though the word is twisted along a pipe.

Any thoughts?

I have CorelDraw v7 and v12.
    IP

Default Re: Text in a helix shape

For this rough result I used the spiral tool holding down the Ctrl key to constrain the circular shape. then used it as a template. I typed each letter individually and reduced each letter by 10 pts more than the last. Rotated the letters by about 30º each and placed them strategically around the spiral. The spiral can then of course be deleted.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiral.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	52565  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Using a logarithmic spiral you could fit the text to the spiral path and adjust the text's size and the spacing, / kerning etc. as required.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Views:	538 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	52566  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I played around a bit more. I thought Figs. 1 and 3 looked better with thicker lines. Hope these give you some ideas.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Views:	541 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	52571  
    IP

Bob,
    Thanks for the reply and I like the #3 in your last post; however, I didn't explain myself very well. when I said helix and twisted along a pipe I was thinking more along the lines of a side view, like this:
    http://www.procarcare.com/images/sha...a/8852MG42.gif

but without the actual spring in view... just the text.
    IP

I'm with you now, but I don't see how it will work without the spring as well as the text, as it will just look like a random jumble of letters, I don't see how the viewer will be able to work out what the letters should spell out. A bit like an anagram, I suppose. A visual clue would seem to be required.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

I guess you're right... Just a little more subtle than a spring... This was just an image I find in Google as an example.
    IP

I see what you mean. If you can visualize what you want, perhaps you could work something out on paper, and scan the result and post it here. We can then have something to work on, and decide if CorelDraw is your best option, or if another graphics program might be better.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

Best bet is to use some form 3D software to layout the design. Why a helix? It doesn't work very well. Maybe you could make it spin.

Name:	Helix.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	52617  
    IP

The one at the top is the sort of thing I was looking for.

It is a helix as the word to be used is not actually ContrStore and refers to a centrifugal device I have designed (still commercially sensitive).

Spinning might be difficult... it is to be printed. :-)

Thanks for your attention.
    IP