Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Huge o/p files when converting to pdf

I'm using Corel X3 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. When I create a .pdf file from a Corel X3 file the o/p is sooooo large. If I create a .pdf from Word the o/p file is smaller than the original. I know there are lots of settings on .pdf ouput and I've tried changing these. Currently they are set as follows:
    General = current document
    Objects = jpeg, 10, text to curves
    Document = include hyperlinks, generate bookmarks
    On Start = page only
    Encoding = binary
    Prepress = nothing
    Security = nothing
    Advanced = REnder complex file as bitmaps, fountain step 256, EPS files Postscript
    Color Management = CMYK, apply ICC profile, Composite printer profile

I can create a CD file that is 19KB as o/p and then print to .pdf file that is 996KB... the entire file is all text no graphics and this becomes very unwieldly when creating a large .cdr file. IE: some i/p:

42KB .cdr
    1039KB .pdf

Anyone with any helpful suggestions???

seems strange that I cannot attace a .cdr file here or I would show you and example of what I'm having to dea with.

Running Windows XP Pro sp2

thanks so much
    IP

Default Re: Huge o/p files when converting to pdf

Hi

can't help with the file size - but you can post up the .cdr file if you zip it first
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I can create a .rar file. Will this work?
    IP

its not listed so I don't think so - what OS are you using - you can zip in windows XP without any additional software [so I guess vista too]
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I'm using xp pro sp2. What command do I use to zip??? I've never done it. Only unzipped. :-)
    IP

right click on the desk top and then new>compressed[zipped] folder give it a name - then copy your cdr file in
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Here is the zip which is now 8KB, the original .cdr is 16Kb and here is the o/p .pdf file which is 231KB... Quite a difference huh????
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Inphoenix,

If I open your CDR file and re-PDF it with my settings at embed fonts, it comes out at approx 11.7kb, I assume the convert text to curves is the culprit for the large file size, as you have used Arial, any PC should open the document as well.

Try it, hope this helps - George
    IP

On reading the original post I too thought that the "text to curves" was the culprit.
    ... the entire file is all text no graphics
    As far as I am aware, if you use the "text to curves" option, the entire file is a graphic NOT text.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

I knew when I was typing the original msg that convert to curves would cause a totally graphic file but I didn't change my text.... good catch SS

Eliminating the text to graphics is not an option as the print shops insists on all text to curves so there is no font problems. I use a myrad of fonts in my documents... 2 different per doc if required but they are some really strange and graphic fonts. This particular file happend to be all Arial but this is not the usual.

Please try converting with text to curves option and let me know what size you get? I did not seem to have this problem is an older version of Adobe Acrobat Pro 7

Thank you for your suggestions... but I still need a better resolution to this problem.
    Maybe there is none????

I did a test convert and chose different options for handling the text. What a difference this makes but I don't know how it will load onto clients computer if the client does not have the fonts installed on their PC that I have used in the document.
    Last edited by inphoenix; 01 October 2008 at 07:03 PM.
    IP