Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bitmaps Saved in a Legacy Version

I need some help with CS3. While Illustrator is not my primary tool, it is the "standard" of the print industry. But some of my clients are still using version 9 or even older.

Some of my work is composed of both vector and bitmap images. When saving to legacy version 3, I loose the bitmaps. What do I do to prevent this. I do not want to save them as PDF files, because my clients prefer Ai files and also because I loose all the "spot" colors. What can I do?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist
    IP

Default Re: Bitmaps Saved in a Legacy Version

If the clients are just going to have the files printed you could save as .pdf.
    IP

Thanks...but again, PDF's are not suitable.

Mike
    IP

I only have CS1 but it has the option to save as other AI versions such as v8. In the last 10 years I can never remember saving any illustrator files in any version number lower than v6. (Just checked, yes, Illustrator v6 was released in 1996.) v3 is so old Illustrator might not have been able to place bitmap or raster graphics.
    In summary, save as v8 if CS3 allows you to.
    Now webmaster at Design Reviews
    Design Tzar at Ebbs Studio
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsfactory View Post
    Thanks...but again, PDF's are not suitable.
    They are definitely better than saving as v3...

If a client needs to alter the file (which would justify providing the client with the [fully editable] Illustrator file), then get the client's program version instead of going through this guesswork.
    IP

If I was in your shoes I would save the file as a ESP file then select Legacy ver. 8 that suits the majority of users that do not require steam to boot up their computers. If they have any versions that are older than this they are not the clients that I would want to have!
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I really didn't think this would be that hard to answer. However, I did find a compromise that works. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    If they have any versions that are older than this they are not the clients that I would want to have!
    This is an opinion that I find offensive. You do not know anything about me, or my clients. It is not necessarily that anyone is still using version 3, but that some programs (Freehand and CorelDraw) do not import versions higher than v7, so v3 is the only choice. In a world where Adobe dominates the universe, we who use Xara, CorelDraw and Freehand (basically anything but Illustrator) are exploring ways to make everything work together. I have dozens of current clients, in all types of printing industries, and as many printing processes all of which have very specific requirements. You may have the luxury of "picking" your clients, but I try to serve all of my clients regardless of their situation and experience.
    IP

I am sorry that you found my remarks offensive I was only trying to be helpful. Think about what you are saying here that you would send an EPS file to a printer who had not updated their software since something that was designed and released pre 1995 how limiting that must be for you in the design area. I would imagine for a start that text would be a problem and then I could state the obvious like opacity,blends, warping,most brushes, meshes, masks, gradients and transparencies all would be needed to be left out of your design if you have to limit yourself down to version 3 of Illustrator. Version 3 was only brought out for the Mac it wasn't till version 4 that window users got a programme that was usable for them.

I have used both CD & FH since mid 90's and I still use FH mx for certain jobs and I have had no problems exporting files between programmes so long as I remember the limitations of the export. The only reason now to use EPS is if you want some one else to work on your drawings, as EPS is device independent, using another programmes features or if you are exporting your drawing to be used as clipart. For clients to view & review you would use the obvious PDF.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP