Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: RGB to CMYK

Default RGB to CMYK

I googled converting from RBG to CMYK and I found this great forum! I didn't know where to find the original discussion about CMYK but perhaps someone can help me from here.
    I have a website; windlewood.com
    We have had color issues. I don't convert to CMYK. I did change a couple pics one time but at the same time those pics wouldn't upload so I didn't do it again. I use photoshop and I know where you do it but there is more than one option. Does anyone know which one I use? They say the same thing. Also there is a custom CMYK...do I use that?
    thanks!
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 20 September 2008 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: Website design and HTML question

Hello Lenae May,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

CMYK is used in the printing industry and represents the four primary colours of ink used. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black.

RGB are the three primary colours of light and the pixels used in television screens and computer monitors. Red, Green, and Blue.

What type of colour issues are you having?

NOTE: I moved your post into a thread of it's own as it did not relate to the thread it was in.
    Last edited by Soquili; 20 September 2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: RGB to CMYK

Sorry I had my question in the wrong spot. Wasn't sure where it should be. Thanks for responding...I am reading that I should convert my pics to CMYK. My colors seem different on other monitors. Sometimes they don't appear online like they were photoshopped. I work with dual monitors and my pics look different in both..drat!! I'm concerned that I'm doing the photoshop and that's not what they appear to be online.
    I found an article about gamut warnig. I used that and found a coklor out of sinc but couldn't understand how to fix it.
    Should I convert to CMYK for the website or leave it alone?
    Thanks...Lenae

HI

if it is for a website - RGB

CMYK is for printing, as Bill points out, it's for colors to be made with ink

you should have your monitors calibrated if they are showing different colors
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Oops sorry, just typed a long answer and saw that Bill had more or less typed the same thing.
    Last edited by Jimi King; 21 September 2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenae May View Post
    Sorry I had my question in the wrong spot. Wasn't sure where it should be. Thanks for responding...I am reading that I should convert my pics to CMYK. My colors seem different on other monitors. Sometimes they don't appear online like they were photoshopped. I work with dual monitors and my pics look different in both..drat!! I'm concerned that I'm doing the photoshop and that's not what they appear to be online.
    I found an article about gamut warnig. I used that and found a coklor out of sinc but couldn't understand how to fix it.
    Should I convert to CMYK for the website or leave it alone?
    Thanks...Lenae
    If colors seem different on other monitors, converting the images to other color-schemes shouldn't help much.
    How the monitor shows colors is set by the screen-settings.
    I also run two screens, I preview my homepage in both just to see what it looks like. (I run one CRT and one LCD screen tho).

I say don't convert.

Photoshop will try and give you an RGB interpretation of a CMYK image, as will Corel Draw and Photopaint. Most other software, such as Picasa and other photo library programs (and Windows Explorer for that matter) will show CMYK images as washed out and dull. This is regardless of whatever monitor you use.

Smile Re: RGB to CMYK

Thanks a bunch!!! I'm choosing NOT to convert seeing that I would have to go through my whole site and do it! However, I will explore more about CMYK when using graphics I create in Photoshop and print them.
    I have added this forum to my tool bar!!!
    Great help!
    Lenae