Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flash Error/Warning

I keep getting the following error message when I Export Animation:

The following can only be exported with SWF version 8:
    Frame 1: Non round line caps and joins.

I do not understand what this is tellimg me. Frame 1 has an image I imported (tried both .jpg and .png files - they are screen captures). While this is OK with me, when I try to view the page in my browser, the .swf file does not play. I get a blank space when I view the page.

Need to resolve this quickly...............
    IP

Default Re: Flash Error/Warning

Hi dcahall, basically all lines in Flash up to and including Flash 6 could only have lines with rounded ends and corners. They couldn't have mitre or butt ends. So all the message is telling you is that these ends/corners will be imported into Flash as rounded corners/ends. No big deal.

On your second question, without your file it's impossibe to say what your problem is. Could you post your .fla file here? Try exporting it as a .fla v6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!gif.gif 
Views:	220 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	52697  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 05 October 2008 at 12:49 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Three things:

1. The frame that the error message is pointing to only contains an image that I imported (a creen capture from our application) that is in either a .png or .jpg format.
    2. For something like the imported image, how do I change the end caps (seems I could only do this for lines or objects I draw)?
    3. I do not see an options to save or export the file as a .fla file in Xara.
    IP

dcahall

2. For something like the imported image, how do I change the end caps (seems I could only do this for lines or objects I draw)?
    You can't. So it must be another problem you're experiencing. You'll need to post your xar file for us to have a look at to say what's causing your problem.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Hope you can help me solve this problem. I do not mind using the SWF8 format but when I try to view a page on my localhost that has a SWF8 format, it does not play the .swf file. SWF6 files play fine (maybe that is another problem someone can help with).

I have attached one of my .xar files for you to look at.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 08 October 2008 at 03:58 PM.
    IP

Hi dcahal, it's not the bitmap that has non rounded corners/joins it's the vector "speech" boxes.

I've altered all of these to have rounded ends/corners so it will now export to swf6 without the errors. The error didn't really matter tho, you could have ignored it.

I've attached a working swf below (swf6). If you want it removed, just let me know and I'll delete it.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 08 October 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Removed inline swf file
    Egg

IP

I really appreciate your reply. I guess I do not understand the whole rounded thing. Can you give me a quick education or point me in the right direction?

Are you saying that since I rounded the corners of the rectangles, that that is what is causing the problem?

I tried to save them as SWF6 but it kept telling me I could not do that.

I did download your .swf files and I will look at them. I would appreciate you removing them though. While the are going to wind up on a web site, the users must log in.
    IP

dcahall, it's quite simple. Prior to Flash8 ALL lines created in earlier versions could only have one end and corner type, round. So if you export a vector shape that uses butt or square ends or mitre or bevel corners from XX to Flash 6 the export filter turns them into rounded ends and corners. While XX gives you the warning it still creates the swf. It's just warning you that your lines won't look as they do in XX.

swf removed as requested.

Here's the same lines exported as Flash 6 & Flash 8 respectively. Notice how the Flash 6 file only has rounded corners & ends but it was exported.

FLASH 6

FLASH 8
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 08 October 2008 at 11:44 AM.
    Egg

IP

Thanks for being patient with me. I think I understand it now and thanks for removing the .xar files.

Seems like there is always something new to learn but the worst part is that you have to go through these types of exercises to learn.

While you were looking at the file, any other suggestions, tips, or tricks you would recommend? Always good to pick the brain of a seasoned pro
    IP

Not really dcahall, it seems to work as you require. The only point worth bearing in mind is that the largest part of the swf filesize-wise is the screengrab bitmap. This needs to load before your animation can start to run. The total filesize is 87Kb of which the screengrab must be 95% thereabouts. This means you viewers will be looking at a blank screen until this loads. I'd suggest you move the loading of the screengrab to frame2 and in frame1 have a "loading data, please wait" type text so your visitor knows somethings happening. 87 Kb isn't particularly large but for a dial up viewer this represents a 20 second delay with nothing happening.
    Egg

IP