Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: MultiExport tool proposition

The real trick with this is that a feature that one person thinks of as essential, there's also someone (or several someone's ) for whom that feature isn't essential, because it's not what they use the application for.

You make icons, I work a lot with Xara mainly for making graphics and gui components for games. In this case exporting can sometimes be tedious as you mention, when you export an image, try it out in context, and decide to tweak.

I can see how a sort of "Batch Exporter" type thing would come in handy, as you could tweak any sprites/images that you want, and then click "Run Batch Export" or whatever and have all of your assets re-generated.

I can also see though how this may not be interesting to a lot of people who use the software for different things.

I'll throw in my vote, though!

Even an option as simple as "Repeat last Export..." which would use the same export settings as the last export you did (though taking into account a different selected object, and optionally asking you for a different filename) would be very helpful.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Odat
    probably i made a mistake suggesting that MultiExport is dedicated for icons creating... it's not
    it's universal

guys thanks for your votes
    i hope you wont be the last on the list

Thumbs up Re: MultiExport tool proposition

Oh indeed, I didn't mean to suggest that icons (or even what I do) is the only use for such a thing.

I just meant that there may not be a lot of people who do the sort of work that would benefit from something like this. Say people who use Xara for print graphics, posters, general art, or in the latest version to create and export their website in one shot. The sort of thing where the final step is a single export to PDF or something of that nature.

So I can see why some people may not get too excited about such a feature (or consider it to be bloating the application up).

In my own (skewed ) opinion, something like this wouldn't really be bloat, even if I didn't ever use it, because by the same logic 90% of the export formats that already exist would be "bloat" because I never use them, either.

Better ways to get stuff in and out of the software are just that, better.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

the batch renderer in After Effects does exactly what you propose.

the best thing about it is you can copy and paste a batch setting: for example change modifications and paste it as another batch without going through all export settings again. if you want to export an image as a png (batch1) and then as a tif (batch2), copy batch1 and paste it and all its export settings automatically become batch2 - go into batch2 export settings and change the output format as tif. the same resolution/dpi, color depth will be the same except the output file format.

but honestly, i don't see that much need for a batch export in xara (except your icon example).. it would be great to have but any new vector tools would be rather more important.