Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Repelling Text Container Workaround

While Xara’s repelling text object methodology is more suitable for the majority of text repelling cases, there are times when keeping text within a container is more ideal. Xara 4.0 lacks a dedicated feature for this, but, like most omissions, there are workarounds until the real thing comes along. I've not seen this mentioned before, but then again I haven’t been looking. Here’s a way to effectively constrain text in a container:

1. Draw a black object and subtract out the region in which you want the text to be contained.
    2. Draw a text column/box over the cut out region and fill it with your text
    3. Ensuring the black object is on top of the text, set it to repel text, and the text will be fitted to the container hole.
    4. To make the box invisible but simultaneously not stop repelling text, simply set the transparency type to hue or darkness transparency.
    5. Subsequent edits to the text repelling container can be made in outline mode (setting up a New View can help), or more cumbersomely, remove the transparency temporarily.

PS. What the hell is with the png physical size upload limit now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repel box.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	52222  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Xhris; 22 September 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clarity

Default Re: Repelling Text Container Workaround

as far as I know 300KB

Edit - sorry I misread - I think you meant why? - storage space I guess - I posted a default compression jpg 85.8KB - the png would have been 388KB - jpgs do have their limitations though....
    Last edited by handrawn; 20 September 2008 at 07:33 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

oh and bandwidth for those not on broadband....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    I've not seen this mentioned before, but then again I haven’t been looking.
    This came up sometime ago (February), I posted a method.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    PS. What the hell is with the png physical size upload limit now?
    Nothing new, these size restrictions have been in place for a while now Xhris.
    Apart from server space (of which we don't know the limit) the size restriction was enabled to assist those on slow DSL or Dial-up connections.

For attachments such as yours, I always select 256 colour PNG. The quality is quite adequate.

Ah yes, you did indeed. I suppose the advantage of this thread then is that it suggests a universal way to do it independently of background colour-which was the key I was after when I first started thinking about it earlier. Making use of the transparency types was the key.