Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding Club logo to Golf ball

HI there

I extracted a golf ball from a photo, it doesn't look to great in terms of it's circularity (if such a word exists lol). It is a bit rough as a circle to be honest. I wondered what is the best way to approach this? Should I take longer in drawing around the object? It did take a while for this roughly circular version.

Also I was given golf club logos to add to the top of the golf ball. I tried with one but don't know how or why it worked. I was surprised. So I wondered whether anyone could explain? To start off, I had the gold ball and the logo on a white background. I added the logo on top of the ball and increased it's (the logo's) transparency, I then changed the transparency filter to "darken". And hey presto! the white background of the logo disappeared and gave me a brilliant result - well as far as I was concerned and my abilities are concerned more so. If I now remove the transparency then the white background for the logo is one, brilliant, just what I wanted. I wondered whether the filter, in essence, negated the presence of the white background by making the logo darker. It's just annoying when something works, but you can't put your finger on why.

Cheers
    Andy

Default Re: Adding Club logo to Golf ball

As for me, I'd prefer to draw the ball and vectorize the logo. Approach to cut and glue some photos is not good for the logos...
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

It doesn't take long to draw what you want from scratch.
    One Circle and 2 much smaller ones with an appropriate fill placed outside the circumference of the large circle and given a blend and adjust number of steps.
    Clone this blend and place under the original blend, and repeat cloning until large circle is covered.
    You could move alternate blend lines to create a different effect. Select all the blends and group.
    Select grouped blends and the large circle and apply a clip view. Clone the result and give it a mid grey fill.
    Play with the circular transparency of the cloned grey circle to give the spherical illusion.
    Place a suitable background behind it all and you are ready to draw your logo.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golf.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	51584  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I have actually done it, just wondered how the transparency thing worked as mentioned above.

Cheers
    Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Andy, I had a shuftie at your logo, it looks pretty convincing.
    Attached is a mini tutorial on how to do the transparency thing.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	51587  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks for the info.
    I have been playing with trying to make reflections as seems the rage in everything you see advertised in glossy mags these days. However adding the reflection and giving it transparency retains the full size of the reflection thus adding ugly white space to the bottom of the images I make. Should the reflection be trimmed, and if so how please? Should the final jog be edited to final height?
    I have added the file.

Cheers
    Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Andy

xhris has done a good tutorial which is on his site, it may help to explain how the various transparency types work
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

HI Steve,
    Many thanks. I'll have a look and a read....

Andy

I have just tried to do this transparency thing as |I described above but with a coloured golf logo, but the colour is lost when I used the "darken" filter. I did uses this on a coloured logo a week ago and it worked, but not now. Does anyone care to comment on what I may have done wrong?

Cheers
    Andy

if you apply the darken filter to a colored image it will turn it 'greyscale'

you could try cloning the image and applying the darken filter to the top copy
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...