Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Flash in email?

Default Flash in email?

Is it possible for an swf flash to display in an html email? The thing that makes me think it can't is the statement "Export your SWF file to the same folder as the web page which you would like to display it ."
    Charlie
    IP

Default Re: Flash in email?

I couldn't find anyway to do it. I had to upload the swf to a website and put a link to the website in the email. Would be nice it there was a way to put it in an email though.
    IP

This works with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. Haven't tried with Mozilla or other browsers, but it should work since it just a mailing function.

Sending flash from your Website utilizing Internet Explorer.

Using Microsoft Outlook

Tools>Options>Mail Format>Message Format>HTML>OK

Back to your flash file webpage
    File-> Send-> Page by Email
    Outlook Express should open.
    Make the flash size small Not more than 512 wide and height relative to outlook normal viewing.

Experiment.
    IP

As was stated by Jamemc, flash in email will only work if the recipient of the email has 'view as HTML' in his email program, other wise it will not work. Also the new Flash security may not permit this in a e mail appication as the security fo 'Flash 9' is very picky.
    Jim
    IP

Yes, Charlie, SWF objects can be delivered and displayed in email with Outlook Express in RTF-format (HTML). Coding is different with embedded and progressive, alternatively complete, download files employing instant remote server access. Some people call it that the file content is 'streamed' from the server location to the email client. This is nothing but silly snake oil talk; only streamable audio and video content can be compiled for true streaming. The progressive and the complete static file download technique in email, Usenet distribution, has great advantages over file embedding by maintaining low weight in binary emails. And, not at least, you can always update your files to your server if anything need to be adjusted in them after email has been sent. It is supposed that your email recipients have the IE and OE settings for zone Internet, ActiveX controls enabled, etc., etc.

Please find two Notepad .txt files attached.
    1) The complete HTML email source code markup for server located SWF object and other files. When downloaded to your HD just copy-paste into the source of an empty email and send it to yourself to see how it works (you don't have to change anything in the source file for the viewing). Take note of the kB size of the email when you receive it in your inbox!
    2) An IE-fix in Notepad .txt format, to get rid of the dreaded gray box around SWF objects shown in IE6+ and OE6 lately in non-scripted HTML. That is to be an external javascript file which will set things right in IE and OE when displaying SWF objects. Open the iefix.txt file in Notepad, save as iefix.js and upload to your server, same location as your SWF object file. The external .js file is called from the email HTML source.

(In the case you will be interested in the email embedding method for SWF objects, I will gladly comply when you holler. And, when you do the progressive or the complete download coding with the HTM+Time syntax the email weight will be extremely low, including images, swf objects, and streaming audio.)

Happy mailing! Anders.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Anders 205; 27 February 2007 at 11:01 AM.
    IP

Thanks much, anders. Sounds good. I'll try it out later in he week.
    Charlie
    IP

I am using Incredimail. I could not get this to work. I DID however get Incredimail to actually view ATTACHED .swf files in the PREVIEW window. However, the preview pane is really tiny and you have to use scroll bars. Any ideas how to make this bigger?
    -=Bob=-
    IP

I don't mind receiving emails with flash attachments that I can choose to run or not. I have an intense dislike of anyone sending me anything via email that I am forced to run in order to see the message. 90% of the time I will just delete the email.

Think hard about whether your message needs flash, if you still think it does, then give people the opportunity to not have to run it.

Paul
    IP

Hahahaha. It's just for this buddy of mine, no-one else. We send each other silly/stupid stuff all the time. XPro gets a workout just making stuff to send to my buddy. Now that I have SnagIt there is a feature that uses flash to show text for mouseovers in different areas of a picture and I sent myself one and it works - I can see it and mouseover the pic in the actual preview window rather than having to open it in a flash player. I like this and so does my friend. I am just curious about making the area bigger than 194x194, which is approximately what it is.
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Dear Anders
    In the file EmailSWFcode there is a file .css referring to http://anders.laemma.com/newsh10.css this file does not exist. you could Upload pls I can use your great help.
    thank you my email is wilprieto@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 September 2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg
    IP