Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vinyl engraved glass

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    ...A nightime shot with the lights of the pub illuminating the window would make for a nice shot also.
    So, you are asking Egg to go out, after dark onto the streets of the UK where eveyone over the age of 6 carries a Stanley Knife and run the considerable risk of getting slashed to pieces, or at the very least having his camera confiscated by the police or a bunch of hoodies? I think not. Better by far to photoshop the shot with Xara.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

l 'tis a shame to be so afraid of life
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    I would try taking the shot full on, so the art isn't skewed.
    That would give a nice picture of the photographer

Thanks for the comments. It was a challenge. The pub has some excellent engraved windows but unfortunately two of the side windows had been smashed. The landlord was completely renovating the pub and wanted replicas of the originals. As you can guess, replica engraved glass would have cost a fortune.

So working on photos of the remaining windows (note the photographer) I created a vector graphic for vinyl cutting. As you can see from the attached a lot of detail still had to be left out otherwise the weeding would have become impossible. But to the casual viewer they pass inspection and the pub keeps it's character.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kings.gif 
Views:	452 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	52008  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Reflections are caused by the light angle/intenisty. See this Thread for an example.

Egg could have taken the shot from the inside the pub looking out during the day with the lights dimmed in the pub.

On the safety of going out at night... I am glad I don't live in that neck of the woods.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

"Garden spade stolen from shed" is the normal headline here John.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So, how long did it take tweeking the curves?

Far more time than I should have spent on it John! At one time, 30 years ago, the pub was my local and I've always had a soft spot for it and these windows were just something that's not created in modern "everyday" buildings any more. So to a certain extent it was a labour of love.

How long did it take. I'd say 8 to 10 hours. The hardest part was getting a smooth curve. The recent threads on improved bezier curves (?) would have been of great assistance. Also being aware of the vinyl cutting and what level of detail would become impossible to reproduce.

That was my side of it. My friend then had to cut it on his Roland plotter and weed out the image and apply it to the plain glass.
    Egg