Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default create mutated vowels in a TTF- with Xara?

Hello, for some reasons I need umlauts (mutated vowels) for a fistful of truetype fonts.
    Is ist possible to load and edit a TTF inside Xara?
    (It is only for personal use in private documents and I do not have any copyright violation in mind.)

regards
    Holger

Default Re: create mutated vowels in a TTF- with Xara?

Hi Holger, yes it's possible, but to do so you have to convert the text into editable shapes (arrange menu/convert to editable shapes), and then ungroup it twice. Xara will now treat the text as shapes, which you can edit with the shape editor tool or pen tool. Of course the text will no longer be editable. Your mutated vowels could then be exported to CorelDraw, where it is possible to make a True Type Font.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 15 September 2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarification
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

@Bob,
    So what you actually mean't was - "No, it isn't possible to load and edit a TTF inside Xara"

@Holger
    Can't you just draw the umlauts separately and add them by hand
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Holger,

I don't use a German keyboard so when I want to use umlauts (accented vowels), I use MS Word to pull in the symbol for the accented letter and then copy and paste it into the text in Xara. I then highlight the accented letter in question and apply the font that I want to use. I have never run into any problems using this method. Perhaps the font isn't recognizing the keystroke from you keyboard but would recognize the character from Word. Just a thought. Also if that works a faster workaround would be to use the keyboard shortcuts for symbols, but as I don't know them, using Word woks faster for me. I think Word even shows you what the shortcuts are.

Wann's hilft kann Ich probieren alles zu aklaeren auf Deutch, aber Ich kann kaum buchstabieren auf English und my Deutch ist noch schlimmer.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Red face Re: create mutated vowels in a TTF- with Xara?

Thank you!
    Now, after reading, I think, I just have to give 99 dollars away for fontlab's TypeTool 3...

[QUOTE=ss-kalm;272243]@Bob,
    So what you actually mean't was - "No, it isn't possible to load and edit a TTF inside Xara"

What I actually meant was, yes it's possible, but to do so you have to convert the text into editable shapes (arrange menu/convert to editable shapes), and then ungroup it twice. Xara will now treat the text as shapes, which you can edit with the shape editor tool or pen tool. Of course the text will no longer be editable. Your mutated vowels could then be exported to CorelDraw, where it is possible to make a True Type Font. Is there any point in debating this?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

No offence Bob, your method didn't really seem to fit "load and edit a TTF inside Xara"
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'm not familiar with Xtreme enough to directly answer you question; hopefully someone else can explain how to do this in Xtreme.

It may not be cool to give this answer here, but if I understand your question, you can accomplish this with CorelDRAW. What I think you want to do is to alter the actual TTF file to include the various characters that you need. You do this by exporting to/appending a True Type Font file. You can do this even in older versions, so if you don't have CDraw, you can buy an older copy for next to nothing on eBAY. Once you have DRAW, here's a good, simple and straight forward tutorial for you. If you try this, before you alter anything, remember: Make a backup copy of the file. Make a backup copy of the file. Make a backup copy... You get the point! Also, don't try to append/alter installed font files. Windows may not let you anyway, but don't try it just the same.

It doesn't seem that you need it, but there are programs devoted to font creation, too. Google "True Type Creation Programs" if you're interested.

Again, I don't know if Xtreme has this capability, but if not, it might be good to consider a TTF export filter in future versions.

Good luck!

Okay, I see.
    Thank you all again!

Xara Xtreme cannot load a ttf file for editing.

As Bob mentioned you can edit a text object within Xtreme, however that is not changing the ttf file for future use.

To make changes to the ttf file Fontlab does offer several applications.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update