Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Please I need big help about softness of the brushes!!!

Well I'm having some really big doubts and I'm busting my head out with this problem wich I'm going to explain right away:
    I got the trial version of the painter X because many people claim to be the best software for inking and painting digitaly. I already have the photoshop cs3 and I'm comparing both of them but when I paint in Corel Painter I cannot achieve the smoother lines that I get with PS CS3 although the flow is much better with my tablet in Painter. So my question is, can I really achieve that smooth trace with painter without all the grainy or aliased line that i'm getting right now or it's impossible because of the paper textures?
    I tell you also that I've already touch all the parameters that i've found but without any luck, like the paper texture, the spacing, the tips of the brush ( for inking i'm using the pen and the soft ink pen) and I still see all the grains in the line that PS CS3 don't have. Is there any help for me or I have to stick with adobe soft?
    PLeasssseee Help a desperate man!!!!!!!
    IP

Default Re: Please I need big help about softness of the brushes!!!

Try the Liquid Ink brushes - either the Fine Point or Smooth Round Nib. The Liquid Ink pens need their own special layer (the type with the ink droplet) tho one will automatically be created once you use the pen. You must not convert the layer to a normal default layer if you still want to work on it. You need to use the Liquid Ink Eraser (not the normal ones) to erase the a Liquid Ink brush. Photoshop .psd format will automatic convert it because it doesn't use this type of pen. But it's very good for inking as it is not anti-aliasing and is more like a vector - although it isn't. If you take the image into photoshop afterwards the line looks nice and smooth. Smoother than it appears in Painter weirdly.

If you don't like that try the Oils brush Detail Oils Brush. If you want solid black (ie not going from grey when the pressure is light) go to the Brush Creator and under General turn the Opacity Expression selection to None (don't tick the box at all).

Hope that helps.

If you don't want a brush to react to the grain of the paper go to the Brush Creator, under the General tab, change the Subcategory to Soft Cover. This will turn off the grain. Or turn the Grain to 100% - which means solid.
    Last edited by Fes; 11 September 2008 at 10:47 AM.
    IP

Hi welcome to TG

Why do you want smooth edges to your strokes?

Most paintings don't actually have them, and painter is primarily for painting.

If you want a program that does what photoshop does best - that program is photoshop

Ditto Illustrator
    Ditto Painter

They are not replacements for each other.

That said the tips Fes has given are good if you wish to approach the work that way..

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Thanks Fes for the tip about the liquid ink, and thank you folcochofo for asking the question. I was really frustrated a couple of weeks ago, when I was trying to do an ink outline on a watercolor.
    IP

I have to thank you all for answering my question, although i didnīt tried this solutions due to a lot of work, I will do so this weekend. Thanks for answering right away and keep the good work, I will tell you soon how's it worked for me. And Judi A, I thought I was the only one that have that problem but I can see I'm not. I'm glad it would help you too.
    IP