Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

Hello,

with the Xtreme Pro Version 4, XARA seems to have introduced CD Protection.
    This means that you can not backup any more your original CD.
    I discovered today trying to do my backup copy as usual.

So, after some tries, I realized that if you need to install XARA Xtreme Pro 4, at the first run of the application, it REQUIRES the original protected CD into the CD driver. It check it for one second, asks for yor licence, and then the program is activated and runs as usual.

So store the CD in a safe place, and avoid any scratch on it, since you can not backup it any more !!!!

Hope that XARA will set-up a low cost service for CD replacement in case of damage....

Regards.

antimix

Default Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

You may want to read this thread. Not only can you not backup the CD, but some virtual machines have trouble reading the CD because of the copy protection scheme being used.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

For anyone curious, the protection Xara/Magix are using appears to be 'Ring Protech' - which you can see quite easily on the underside of the disc and is pretty much impossible to bypass or copy..

So yes store your disc with care
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xtremeprotection.png 
Views:	743 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	48887  

Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

Ok pardon me, but this is frickin ridiculous on your part Xara
    I did not even know this, what are you turning into microsoft?
    if we pay for the software, the original owner should be allowed
    to make a backup copy,

very stupid move, i must say!

I think it's a very resonable move. Pirating is rife. You've got the CD. If you loose it you only have to go to xara.com and download a copy. What's the big deal?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I've used Xara since 1996 and never made a backup copy. I've never made a backup copy of any software CD's I have. Install the software, store the disc. It rarely gets handled and not much can happen to it when properly stored. I backup my own unique files, but not software. Programs can be replaced and if need be, usually with an updated version.
    •Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think it's a very resonable move. Pirating is rife. You've got the CD. If you loose it you only have to go to xara.com and download a copy. What's the big deal?
    I run a business with multiple copies of software. Copy protected CDs that require me to have the physical CD to install on each PC plays havoc with my (and other companies) standard method of maintaining PCs. It is more expensive (i.e., it takes more time) for me to install software that has copy protected CDs.

If Xara wants to play with the big boys, they need to get away from the gamer mentality. The copy protection scheme they are using is primarily used to protect game software. Businesses with multiple copies have different needs than individuals or very small companies with only a few copies.

As for downloading a copy of the software, please note that, with this version, Xara has a new system. The download is the trial version and there is a different serial number than the CD version. Even assuming that the download program is identical to the CD version, I still need the CD to install a complete version (the CD does contain many more files than can be downloaded). Again, that solution is not acceptable for many businesses with multiple copies.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Egg if version 4 DL follows the same methods as previous versions, then it will fail to work after 90 days, so unless you have a CD by then they may be in trouble.

Xara have done something which many software companies have not, which is to make their software pricing sensible and affordable - this is I think the key to reducing piracy.

I agree with Bob Hahn - my purchased CD's have been stored carefully and so far are fine.
    But I do understand people who believe they have a right to create a backup and, infact the Xara EULA states.

XARA XTREME END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA")

You are permitted to:

1. load or download the Software and use it only on a single client computer which is under your personal control;

2. transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time;

3. make one copy of the Software for back-up purposes only in support of the permitted use. The copies must reproduce and include Xara's copyright notices;

4. transfer the Software (complete with all its associated documentation) and this license to another person provided he has agreed to accept the terms of this Agreement and you contemporaneously transfer all copies of the Software you have made to that person or destroy all copies not transferred. If any transferee does not accept such terms then this license shall automatically terminate. The transferor does not retain any rights under this Agreement in respect of the transferred Software or license.

I'm sure Xara would be willing to sell you a multi licence copy Tom so easing your multiple install problems but most of us are talking about the standard user who by agreement can instal XXP on 2 machines.

It's my understanding that the download version has all the files that are on the CD apart from the Movies that can be downloaded seperately. I could be wrong regarding this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Steve,
    Egg if version 4 DL follows the same methods as previous versions, then it will fail to work after 90 days, so unless you have a CD by then they may be in trouble.
    They'd have great difficulty copying it if they hadn't received it Steve ;-)

If you've purchased the product you can D/L it and enter your serial number so the 90 days isn't an issue.
    Egg