Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Google Chrome does not render WS4 Menus

Er yeh... Same webkit rendering engine. Why does this surprise you?
    I didn't say it surprises me BUT it surprises me that this bug is "brushed away" with a flick of the wrist (other browsers work) instead of being tackled - or did I miss something essential here?

Safari is not really all new PLUS it's the default browser for MAC users. So the question arises if it is wise to lock out MACs from a site by just going the "let's wait and see approach" ?

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here.

No-one is locking anyone out of anything.

Webstyle 4 is old software. It hasn't been updated in years, even well before Safari was released.
    Web technologies have changed and been updated several times since, Webstyle 4 hasn't.
    There have been no indications that WS will be continued or updated now that Xara Xtreme 4 is being actively developed with HTML export features.

Support for legacy (dying) web technology by newer browsers (iow, those that are *new kids on the block*) is possible (maybe?) but unlikely.

This should be kept in mind when using older software such as Webstyle 4.
    (I know nothing about OpenCube so cannot comment there)

Quote Originally Posted by rafleet View Post
    Unfortunately, the www.opencube.com QuickMenu ($149) doesn't display well either.
    As said in the previous post I no nothing about OC. I did however visit their website and found no problems when using Chrome with their own nested menus. Of course, I am assuming they are using their own software to create their own navigation menus.

BTW, disabling JS in Chrome for anyone who wants to:
    =================================================
    In Windows Vista:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Ap plication\chrome.exe -disable-javascript

In Windows XP:

"C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome" -disable-javascript

Other parameters:
    -disable-images
    -disable-java
    -disable-plugins
    -disable-popup-blocking
    -start-maximized

==================================================

The problem is not related to the fact that Chrome is an early Beta but rather that it uses the Webkit Rendering Engine, as does Safari. The WRE resolves complex menus differently to the method deployed by IE, Firefox and Opera.

WebStyle 4 by default creates menu-rendering code that conforms to the same standards as used by IE, Firefox and Opera. This means that WS4 menus display correctly in these browsers but incorrectly in browsers that are based on WRE, such as Safari and Chrome.

The key difference is that the standard used by IE, Firefox and Opera renders menus using the "absolute" location whereas the WRE as used by Safari and Chrome renders menus using the "fixed" location.

A possible work-a-round for this problem would be to ask a question within the document.write statement. In simple English the question would read something like this: -

IF the browser is WRE based THEN menu positions are fixed ELSE menu positions are absolute.

In a real website that uses WS4 the real code may read something like the following: -

if {SAF}
    document.write(".filename_menu {z-index:999;border-color:#a5c7db;border-style:solid;border-width:"+bd+"px 0px "+bd+"px 0px;background-color:#185a99;position:fixed;left:0px;top:0px;visi bility:hidden;}");
    else
    document.write(".filename_menu {z-index:999;border-color:#a5c7db;border-style:solid;border-width:"+bd+"px 0px "+bd+"px 0px;background-color:#185a99;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;v isibility:hidden;}");

In most cases this modification to the WS4 generated code will enable complex menus to be displayed correctly in IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome.

If you implement this fix will you please post your results to this thread so that we can see how successful (or not) this fix is.

T.

149$ for a menu?

free and with good results in modern browsers: ADxMenu

Remi

The following article has been on the xara support site since September

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2630

This will allow you to overcome the display problems with sub menus of a navbar in Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Tabvla View Post
    Google Chrome does not render drop-down or fly-out menus that have been created with Webstyle 4.

Example (This only applies to menus created with Webstyle 4)

Assume a site has a menubar running across the top of the page. Some (or all) of the menu items contain sub-items. In IE, Firefox and Opera when the mouse cursor is placed over the top menu the menu sub-items will drop down immediately beneath the top menu item. This is normal behaviour.

In Google Chrome, when the mouse cursor is placed over the top menu item, the menu sub-items don't drop down beneath the top menu item but appear at a random place anywhere on the page.

The exact same behaviour applies to fly-out menus.

Assume a menu on the left of the page which contains sub-items. Normal behaviour is that when the mouse cursor is placed over the menu item the sub-items will be displayed adjacent to the menu item. In Google Chrome the sub-items appear anywhere at random on the page but not adjacent to the menu item.

This is a big problem for anyone who has developed site menus using Webstyle 4.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by ceemosp View Post
    Well, I'll play the ball back to you guys

I can reproduce the same problem when using Safari, so this issue is a tad bigger than just "blaming it on beta"

As Safari is the standard browser for MAC users, this needs some "looking into" imho

regards
    After an intensive search on Internet, I found out that Apple Safari (3.1) does not support Javascript well enough for useable menus.
    (More than 100.000 hits on the subject, narrowing the search with "solution" did not bring up any chearfull sounds)

Could be that I overlooked something, but is seems that Apple users will have to deal with first pages of websites, to raise their appetite. They will have to use other computers to see how the webworld develops.

I tried to post a question on the Apple website, only to get an "404 error" when clicking for their support page. Most probably blocked for non-Safari users?

Hi,

Xara Menu Maker menus will not work in Chrome either. The .js file contents for both Webstyle 4 and Menu Maker are really identical - apart from one line made for mozilla and IE problems (which is optional, can be removed) in Webstyle 4.

Yours,
    Ty

John.

I don't believe Chrome will do anything about WM4 incompatibility.

I got around this problem on my website by using transparency gifs and rollovers.

See the result: http://www.tysaustralia.com

Put the cursor over "Vacation Australia" to see the submenu items.

Try it in IE then Chrome. You see the differerence.

In Chrome the submenu is shown when the cursor is on "Vacation Australia" but it it actually disappears when you move it away. But if you move the cursor under the main menu item it shows the submenu items in transparency and rollover gif format, which works ok. These rollovers are not seen when viewed in IE.