Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Magnifying Glass and Xara 5 Logo

The history of this is that I was doodling in an attempt to create a Logo for the recent competition and I had typed "Xara" using the Abbey Medium font.
    This I altered with the Mold Tool, then cloned and gave each a different shade of cyan. I then created a 999 step blend of the two "Xara"s. I noticed that this method created "jaggies". I never progressed with the logo competition because of the jaggies, but my intention was to post an enlarged section of the logo as seen through a magnifying glass to show these jaggies, and to ask what, if anything could be done to eradicate them.
    By creating a bitmap copy of a circular selection and using the fisheye perspective deformation filter in Xara's Live Effects, the jaggies had pretty much disappeared! If you look closely you may be able to discern the jaggies in the area outside the magnifying glass. I had wanted to create the Xara text with blends and not the extrude tool. However the magnifying glass was made with the extrude tool, except for the "glass" - just a couple of highlights. I liked the end result anyway, and probably would have submitted it to Gary for the contest, but I had run out of time.
    If anyone knows how to create the blend for the text minus the jaggies I'd like to know.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara 5.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	51571  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Magnifying Glass and Xara 5 Logo

A dollar short and a day late (actually 3 days late) Bob.

Nice effect.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    A dollar short and a day late...
    Isn't that a quote from a song?
    Thanks Gary.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Edit: To answer my own question it's a book by Terry McMillan.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 28 August 2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: addition
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I have not testesd this but do you have the view quality slider set at maximum or is it at the default (1 step down). You could always do more steps in the blend which would take out some jaggies.

Once you get the blend looking right group it and the redraw time will be much less.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hi Bob, this may sound strange but try reducing the blend steps from 999 to 99 or a little as you can get away with. It appears to me that this is a case of more is less.

This was done using a 99 step blend and it had far less jaggies than a 999 step blend. Go figure?

Top (or left) is a 256 colour gif and bottom (or right) is a full colour png.

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	507 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	51574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.png 
Views:	522 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	51575  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's the same file but using a 999 step blend. Notice the terrible jaggies you encountered. I don't know why this should be so, but it seems true ???

Views:	507 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	51576  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Further proof.

Views:	495 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	51577  
    Egg

About the jaggies - the Blend tool has an button on the Infobar that turns anti-aliasing on and off for blends. It has two "T"s on it. You might have that button deselected.

Nice logo, BTW!

Good point PixelDust but with the AA selected it tends to remove jaggies but the problem still exists that the greater the number of steps the greater the jaggies regardless of this button. (Mines got two "A"s though)
    Egg

Thanks for looking at the jaggy problem, Egg. Also I've found that toggling anti-alias doesn't change the effect. The view quality is at the highest setting, too. I changed the font in the attached example, as Abbey Medium isn't that smooth at higher zooms. Arial shows the same jaggies at any number of steps, they just crop up in different parts of the blend (except for the example on the right).
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	steps.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	51582