Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Html JPEG export

Is there any way at all to adjust the quality of the Jpeg exported in the html export from within Xara.

Ideally I'd want to export uncompressed and then fine tune later. But they seem to be compressed so I'm getting artefacts on very graphic exports and PNG files are too large.

Default Re: Html JPEG export

At the risk of repeating myself. I agree with Squeaky. There are times that you require transparency. JPG obviously won't do. The 32bpp PNG files are 3 times the size of a GIF. I know, we can't have GIF's they are "outdated", but websites are supposed to be quick. we should be able to adjust the PNG quaility and make our own adjustments of speed versus quality. In my opinion, web graphics should be fast. They are not intended to be printed and 8bpp would be my preference. The 32bpp PNG's are to big to be effective. If people are using dial-up, they will navigate away from your page before the graphics load fully.

I also understand that the HTML functions in Xara are somewhat secondary, and are new functions that may need tweaking. But just wanted to make my opinion known.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Already on the whishlist.
    John.

The only way I can see of getting 'round this is to export the jpg's or pngs as named groups and then to export the HTML and visually find and replace the generated bitmaps with the previously exported ones.

Does XX4 compress exported Jpegs that are imported bitmaps? that might be an option.

If there any way that the Jpeg export could be uncompressed? At least then we could have the option of compressing them ourselves (secretly hoping for a registry setting?)

Actually if anyone has some work flow tips on this one I would love to hear them. I may well have a graphically heavy site to do in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Already on the whishlist.
    Thank You, John
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

If there any way that the Jpeg export could be uncompressed? At least then we could have the option of compressing them ourselves (secretly hoping for a registry setting?)
    Even at 100% quality setting, jpg is still a compressed bitmap container.
    There is a reg setting for normal JPEG export, but it doesn't change the compression factor when using the HTML export feature, this is likely compiled into the .dll

John please at this to the HTML wishlist

Name file: JPEG=100 will export at 100% quality
    (iow: JPEG=* will export at * Quality)

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Even at 100% quality setting, jpg is still a compressed bitmap container.
    There is a reg setting for normal JPEG export, but it doesn't change the compression factor when using the HTML export feature, this is likely compiled into the .dll

John please at this to the HTML wishlist

Name file: JPEG=100 will export at 100% quality
    (iow: JPEG=* will export at * Quality)
    I only really use JPG's for web stuff - horrible things but a necessary evil. I have found that they work pretty well for tonal stuff like photos but I have to use high quality settings for graphic, cartoony stuff - hence the request.

Ideally the HTML export could be integrated into the name gallery in later versions so we could control the bitmap export. For this version (If at all possible) the option for 100% export would make the feature usable without xtreme work arounds.

+1 here from this cartoonist
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ok, since it will take a long way to introduce real quality control for every exported image, I have decided to at least give a control over the default jpeg export quality to those who need it and don't mind to try experimental version.

So, as usually, since this is an experimental version of the html filter, I can not guarantee its stability etc. Use on your own risk, if you whish. Though, I hope there should be no significant problems with it.

Create a backup copy of your "htmlfiler.dll". Unpack attached archive, extract both files to your "filters" folder. Open "html.ini" with notepad and change quality value as you whish. It should be in the range 10..99. New quality setting shall be applied to all exported jpegs.

Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John.

thanks John
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...