Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Full moon part #3

I will second that... about moon shots not being easy.

The first shots (the large ones) are with a 1000mm cheap lens mounted to a Pentax K20D. The lens is why it took me many attempts over several years to get a decent shot. The lens is totally manual. I get no exposure info nor focus indication with this lens. It is all trial and error.

The small shot is with a 300mm autofocus lens. It is much easier to take shots with it, but the image is much, much smaller.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

Yes, John. There are very beautiful shots of the moon. Very.!! And so close!!! I like them.
    IP

John,

I took this one when the eclipse happened, I think in 07.
    600mm lens (manual). As per usual with eclipses the clouds came in but they elapsed long enough to allow me to take a number of shots. I also had a few problems with my camera to add to the degree of difficulty.

Your shot is so amazing closes.
    Rupert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon-eclips 122(ed.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	51478  
    IP

Thank you Lilu and Rupert...

Rupert,

That is a nice shot with a 600mm. Have you thought about getting a doubler? You can find them for not that much used. They are typically a manual use only item. I have one that I was going to try on my 1000mm but it makes the the moon too large to fit in the frame (1000mmX2x1.5=3000mm 35 mm equivalent). I have used it with half of my 1000mm (500mmX2X1.5=1500mm 35 mm equivalent), but the shot is about the same (quality wise) so I didn't use it this month.

I wanted to capture the eclipse but it was raining in this neck of the woods.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook
    IP

good one john, nice and sharp...I have never bothered to take a shot of the moon..it sounds difficult so I can't see me doing it...regrads tao
    IP

John,

I seem to have missed this thread earlier, but finding it has been a visual joy.
    I am full of admiration for your persistence and the quality of the photographs.
    TJB
    IP

Thanks Roger and TJB.

Roger,

Any shot is hard to get right unless you have tried to take them a few times. I would have to practice quiet a bit to capture a band in action like you can. The first couple shots would not be worth viewing.

I have taken quiet a few sunsets, and a moon shot is not much harder. The manual lens is the tricky part. Trying to get a good focus with only the viewfinder as a guide is tough. Lots of trial and error. Do you have a large telephoto?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook
    IP

Hi John my biggest lens is my 70-200mm. I have just done a search on the net for moon photography and came up with this link below. I think I will have a go at it next full moon, not like your shoot as I don't have the equipment but more in a landscape scene. I will keep you posted..thanks roger

http://www.danheller.com/moon.html

Roger,

Any shot is hard to get right unless you have tried to take them a few times. I would have to practice quiet a bit to capture a band in action like you can. The first couple shots would not be worth viewing.

I have taken quiet a few sunsets, and a moon shot is not much harder. The manual lens is the tricky part. Trying to get a good focus with only the viewfinder as a guide is tough. Lots of trial and error. Do you have a large telephoto?
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 24 August 2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    IP

Roger,

If you are going to try for a landscape sceeen I would suggest taking it around dusk. To catch the moon you need a pretty fast exposure, around 1/50 -1/120 second. if you want it darker just underexpose the shot.
    My 1000mm fills about 3/4 frame. So your 200mm will probably grab about 1/8 to 1/4 frame. You can pick up a manual lens pretty cheap. I paid $100 for mine new. If you look around you could probably grab a used one for much less. Then you just need an adapter for your camera body (about $10).

It is much easier to use a tripod and a cable release if you have one. If you lens is long enough that you need to mount it to the tripod then try a cable release and timed exposure to minimise camera shake when the mirror flips up.

The moon is still up and I was thinking of trying a daylight moon shot just to see what I can get.
    Last edited by raynerj1; 24 August 2008 at 05:38 PM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook
    IP

Nice moon shots John and a great thread as well.

The topic jogged the ol' memory a bit and I found the following moon shot I had taken a few years back and thought it may add to the topic.

It was hand held ( I remember seeing the bright moonlight shining through the window into my home which prompted me to run out to "grab a shot or two"). I had no setup but did rest the camera against my car as I crouched down. It was taken on a clear crisp Nov. evening in New England.

I used a spot exposure and the resulting shot, according to the EXIF file was:
    ExposureTime - 1/320 seconds
    FNumber - 4.00
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100

The camera is an oldie but a goody 5 megapixel (shot at 3 megapixels) Sony DSC-717 which has a remarkable Carl Zeiss 38-190mm (35mm equivalent) zoom lens ( 5 X optical 10 X total zoom)

I did a "sharpen" of the cropped image in IrfanView which looked better and produced fewer artifacts then XXP surprisingly.

Bob C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoonCropped.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	51851  
    IP