Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem Displaying Exported HTM File in Firefox 3.01

Try this please. In XaraXtreme 4.0.1.5601, create a simple banner using a rectangle, fill it with color and some text. Next, group the color filled rectangle and text inside of it together. Now, below and outside of the rectangle, type some sample text like "Hello World". Export the entire page to an htm / html file.

Now open the file in your favorite web browser. The file opens perfectly in Internet Explorer 7 and previous versions, with everything being visible. However, in the latest version of Firefox 3.01, the color text filled rectangular banner box does not appear at all, but the text below it does. Even if you attempt to open that banner box image separately in Firefox 3.01, it still doesn't appear and comes up blank. I'm using Firefox 3.01 on FreeBSD 7.0, but the graphic was created on my friends Windows XP machine.

Is this a bug?
    Last edited by galicja; 15 August 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: Problem Displaying Exported HTM File in Firefox 3.01

No problem with it here

EDIT - added image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	51376  
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 15 August 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: ADDED IMAGE
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

No problems here either. Check here
    Does it show correctly via a windows machine using the same version of FF?

Name:	helloworld.png 
Views:	407 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	51377  

Interesting...are you both using Firefox 3.01 on a Windows Machine? I just tried it on my friends Windows XP machine and it DOES work, however, on my FreeBSD 7.0 machine with the same version of Firefox 3.01, it does not work properly. It must be an issue with that specific version of Firefox made for FreeBSD.

Would it be too much to ask someone to try downloading and installing FreeBSD 7.0 on your pc, then install KDE 3.5.8 and Firefox 3.01 via the "pkg_add -r" command just to verify this? Thanks for your help!

Attached are two screenshots of the creation and result. One is of the banner and text created in Xara Xtreme 4.0.1.5601 on Windows XP SP2, the other is the display of the exported .htm file in Firefox 3.01 on FreeBSD 7.0, using the KDE 3.5.8 desktop.

Note, only the words "Hello World !" are displayed, and no banner. However, there is a blank space where the banner should be.

It looks like an issue with Firefox 3.01 on FreeBSD 7.0 / KDE 3.5.8. What do you think?

Name:	x.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	51381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	51382  

Last edited by galicja; 16 August 2008 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by galicja View Post
    Interesting...are you both using Firefox 3.01 on a Windows Machine?
    Yes... See screenshots, I think this is clear.

Would it be too much to ask someone to try downloading and installing FreeBSD 7.0 on your pc, then install KDE 3.5.8 and Firefox 3.01 via the "pkg_add -r" command just to verify this?
    It sure would

It looks like an issue with Firefox 3.01 on FreeBSD 7.0 / KDE 3.5.8. What do you think?
    I think you might be right

Check the case of your filenames. Unix is case-sensitive, Windows is not. If you refer to a file (eg. the image containing the banner) as 'A.jpeg', but it's actually called 'a.jpeg', it'll work on a Windows filesystem but not in BSD.

What Bob says is true on the local system, but not necessarily on a remote unix server (for example). It depends how's it configured.
    Have you checked the address I gave you in post #3 where I went to the trouble of uploading an example for you to view online via your FF3 browser while running BSD. If this displays correctly for you while yours do not, then check the casing as Bob suggests, or upload to a remote server and see if they page displays correctly online.

(Note: Xara exports images numerically, which I suspect is a way around potential case issues)

Hi,

If the upper/lower case is addressed,i must add a suggestion to this;
    -don't use spaces in file names.(might get url-encoded)
    -take a look at the extension,by this i mean it might be needed to use PNG instead of png
    -if jpg it can be JPG or JPEG or jpeg

Hans

Hi Galicja,
    I'm using Firefox 3.01 on FreeBSD 7.0, but the graphic was created on my friends Windows XP machine.
    Is it by any chance possible that you have copied only the exported html file without corresponding files folder while transferring the result form WinXP to BSD?
    John.