Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Export PDF Memory Problem

Hi Folks,

I have an 8 page 4 color catalog/brochure. I'm using XXP4.0.1. When I export to pdf for printing I receive an out of memory - please try reducing resolution message. I'm running Windows XP with 2 GB of memory.

The brochure has a front cover with 2 colored rectangles, 1 with transparency. I also has a number of 'bubbles' which are vector drawings to decorate it. Other pages have a heading which is a clipview of this design.

I read of other pdf memory problems with XXP4, and created bitmaps to replace all the clipviews and vector graphics. This did not change the memory error message.

I reinstalled XXP3.2 and was able to export both files to pdf/x without a problem. I just get greeted with a screen telling me that the file was created with a newer version which results in some issues represented by a series of numbers. But the files appear the same on screen.

The file size numbers are interesting.
    Full file with vector images = 689kb. Pdf file = 8849kb.
    Full file with bitmaps = 733kb. Pdf file = 36066kb.

The bitmaps definitely bloat the pdf size.

I separated the file into separate pages. XXP4 would create a pdf from the single page file. But I don't have a pdf editing program (other than XXP), and don't plan to get one.

Single page file with vector images = 589kb. Pdf file = 2748kb.

To have the work around with 3.2 is nice, but a hassle. What can I do to solve the memory problem?

Les

Default Re: Export PDF Memory Problem

Please attach (upload to any file exchange server) your xar file.

Have 55-80mb for Xtreme file and export as PDF (6-12mb files) with 11x17in drawing size at 300 dpi with no problems...

BTW, I've never seen out of memory error message ))) Oh, have only 2gb RAM...
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

I hope I've attached/uploaded the xar file correctly. XXP3.2 doesn't give me any trouble, just XXP4.0.1.

Thanks Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

Les your .xar exported without any errors on my system.

Out of memory errors are difficult to track down, some things to consider are:

When you encounter the error do you have multiple programs open? If so did you have those same programs with the same open files when you can export from version 3.2 without error?

Were you listening to radio or music via the internet or local files when the error occurs?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

My 4.0 trial is just expired, so had chance with 3.2 only to check your file.

Yes, it's very simple catalog so I don't see any problems for exporting.
    Just one thing -- you have some shapes/lines at Guides layer. Turn it off when exporting and see what happen... Maybe there are some issues with it. Also you can make a copy of your file and even delete all unused layers before exporting... Let us know if you be lucky )
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Your xar file imported cleanly into XX4 and exported to pdf without problems. At 300 dpi resolution the file size was 10MB. I also exported as a printer pdf file using Bullzip at 300 dpi iand it exported to 1.7MB.

Erik

I've had this problem several times and have a support ticket open with Xara. They are extremely slow in responding to my communication, so I don't expect it's considered a priority.

At first I ended up exporting one page a time and then putting them back together again in Acrobat. Then I discovered that having any Gallery open and docked seemed to contribute to the problem. If you have any Galleries open, try closing them and then exporting.

On your file, I get the same error if I have the Galleries open and docked. When they are closed, it exports as expected.

I've spent time trouble shooting my issue. I have a good system and have had the same issue with only XP4 open, so I don't think it has something to do with multiple programs open etc. There seems to be something with the Galleries.

I would be curious if those that didn't have an issue had their Galleries docked or not even open when they exported the file?

If you find another solution or get a better answer from Xara let us know.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by RedWombat; 15 August 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Thanks folks, good ideas. This is what I found.

If I had guides invisible, but the Layer Gallery open, xxp4 will produce a pdf/x.

If I had guides visible, but no Galleries open, xxp4 will produce a pdf/x.

If I had guides visible and a Gallery open, xxp4 will not produce a pdf/x.

So it appears you can't have 2 things, only 1.

Thanks for the tip on Bullzip. I haven't heard of that one. I have used Cutepdf and it prints okay, but I can't get it to include the bleeds.

Thanks again folks. I'll just have to be careful about what is open.

It would be great to know how we could adjust a memory setting so the program could use more of what available when exporting.

Les

Another issue has appeared. The pdf's which XXP3.2 and XXP4 export display differently. When I exported from 3.2 the pdf shows the bleed edge properly. From 4.0 it does not. I'm not sure if it's on purpose, or if it makes any difference when the printer opens the file, but the pdf does not appear as it should for the printer.

A sample of the differences is attached.

Am I missing some selection somewhere?

Thanks

Les
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XXP - differences in pdf output.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	51378  

Seems to work for me in version 4.0.1.5601 with Bleed Margin enabled in Options>>Page
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bleed.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	51380