Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default converting psp to svg

I've got a lot of vectors in psp v7 and would like to transform them to svg files. Anyone know how?
    IP

Default Re: converting psp to svg

It looks like you will need to find someone with a vector graphic program that can import your images and then save them as svg. The new version of Xara Xtreme Pro can save as svg from what I could see. I think Adobe Illustrator does the same thing (but a lot more money). Maybe someone else will respond with some other alternatives.

If you are converting these to use on the internet, make sure you test using Internet Explorer. I don't know if they support svg yet.
    Last edited by jyoung; 12 August 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: update
    Joe
    IP

Is there any particular reason why you want to save as .svg?
    IP

Hi

what you need is either

1) a plugin for psp7 that enables it to save to SVG

or

2) a program that opens psp7 files, preserving vectors, and saves to SVG - or another vector format such as PDF that you can convert

or

3) a utility to 'print' from within psp7 to PDF [or convert the saved file] and then another utility to convert from PDF to SVG - preserving vectors both times

I don't think 1) exists, and I cannot think of a program that does 2) - there is a plugin for photoshop that enables it to open psp files, but thats not vector

3) is possible - there are a lot of good utilities out there, many of them free, but I have not tried it, so I cannot guarantee it.

hope this helps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I want to save as svg is that I've a lot of psp vectors, I'm not convinced that Paint Shop Pro has a future as a vector drawing tool and I want to keep my options open. svg seemed like the best standard to go with in order to be tool independent. Maybe I'm wrong about that?
    IP

if you are sticking with a windows OS, I think I would go with PDF for portability - but whichever format you choose there are always limitations on what vector effects can/cannot be preserved.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Well, PSP was never meant to be a vector application in the first place and that is quite clear with the limited format choices that you have to save to.

What you could do is keep them in the .psp format (so that you can later easily edit them as needed in the program) and if you ever need to make some artwork out of them in another program, simply save as a bitmap file (such as .png or .tif) with the proper dimensions for either screen or print output.

If you really enjoy working with vectors, consider the (free) Inkscape or (expensive) Illustrator.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by coningham View Post
    If you really enjoy working with vectors, consider the (free) Inkscape or (expensive) Illustrator.
    ...or the inexpensive Xara Xtreme
    IP