Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Create PDF editable with Acrobat Reader ?

Hi all,

I am not a Xara user, but ... curious ... does Xara have the ability to generate PDF files that retain their text editability once opened in Acrobat Reader ?

-Thanks,

Default Re: Create PDF editable with Acrobat Reader ?

Not that I am aware of.
    You might try PrimoPDF which I believe has some basic features to allow the ouput of editable PDF. Basically though, you'll need Adobe Acrobat to do it properly and without restrictions.

Welcome to TG by the way

Thanks Steve, I was afraid of that ... or maybe just wishful thinking (then again it might be asking too much from Xara and AcrobatReader to offer editable text which might have custom strokes and other live effects on it)
    It seems I might have to go with either Acrobat, or PDF-xchange, or Nitro PDF (or PrimoPDF as you mentioned) after all and use the "form fields" feature or something.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 September 2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

Because the illustrator export does not export text properly and pdf also has the same problem, what is the best method for exporting to adobe products for text (format, tabs etc...) renaming intact.

Please if there is a turnaround let us know if not are there plans in the near future for this?

I know that xara was not made to work with adobe nor vise verse but if xara is to break into the graphic design market then there has to be some kind of compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Argax View Post
    ... or maybe just wishful thinking (then again it might be asking too much from Xara and AcrobatReader to offer editable text which might have custom strokes and other live effects on it)
    Guess that's why it's called "Reader" rather than "Editor".

As for compatibility with Adobe products, that's always a moving target. Adobe isn't overly interested in easing the way for competitors to provide compatible files.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Guess that's why it's called "Reader" rather than "Editor"
    It used to be strictly a reader ... but PDF is moving more towards being a "delivery" format in general with editable elements.

Here is a PDF file that a "Reader" can actually edit ...
    http://www.illustrationetc.com/AIbud...led_Edited.pdf

Yes, I know. That has advantages and disadvantages. OTW, while I'm happy to have a format for exchanging vector graphics, I don't want most people editing the pdfs I send them, and that includes service bureaus and commercial printers.

Yes, you can place security restrictions on a pdf, but that in itself puts noses out of joint. It's better if the format is simply not editable in the first place. Then there's no question.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 04 September 2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Remove preceding post quote