Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: web pages

Default web pages

I've just got around to producing a few (three) pages as a trial for Xara as a site creation tool.
    I've used Net Objects and Frontpage without too much trouble for the small amount of work I do in that area but was looking forward to the ease of use and hopefully better looking site I was going to produce with Xara. So I made a few test pages and linked them all together with nav.buttons and stuck a few random photographs on with a 'photograph big' layer link etc etc and tested it in IE and was thrilled at the ease in creating such a wonderful few pages of nonsense.
    However I then came to try to upload the site, again as a test, too a bit of free space and try as I might I cannot get it to upload, or rather it seems to upload fine but doen't exist when you go to the appropriate url.
    I've saved it as index.html so I have index > index_2 > index_3 with the usual folder of various bits of graphics and stuff as expected for my three pages.
    I point FileZilla to - ftp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (pwp for personal web page, free space) enter my user name and password and you would expect it to all go swimmingly but, nothing.
    Am I missing something, apart from a few brain cells?
    When I uploaded an existing few pages created in Frontpage to the same location there they were no problems so its obviously something I'm doing wrong in saving the Xara site.
    HELP!!??
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 02 September 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: web pages

What is the "appropriate URL"? I think that you may be confusing where the files upload to and where they display. They won't display from a ftp URL, and since it's personal webspace and everyone has their own, the syntax for the display site may include your username or similar.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi
    I upload to: ftp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk user name and: password

url is: www.username.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk - which is where the uploaded test pages should be displayed, as they are if I use Frontpage for instance to the same location.
    I can only asume its something wrong with the name of the xara files or similar, though I can't see how or why as I was following Gary tutorial in the first instance word for word which wouldn't upload either though or course Gary's obviously did and mine were identical as far as I can tell.

Forget all the above as I've sorted it. The problem seemed to be with Filezilla which has now been corrected.

Derek
    Last edited by masque; 02 September 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    Hi
    I upload to: ftp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk user name and: password

url is: www.username.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk - which is where the uploaded test pages should be displayed, as they are if I use Frontpage for instance to the same location.
    I can only asume its something wrong with the name of the xara files or similar, though I can't see how or why as I was following Gary tutorial in the first instance word for word which wouldn't upload either though or course Gary's obviously did and mine were identical as far as I can tell.

Forget all the above as I've sorted it. The problem seemed to be with Filezilla which has now been corrected.

Derek
    Can we also learn from it??

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    Can we also learn from it??

Peter
    Hi
    Only if you are having trouble uploading with FileZilla. I was selecting the file(s) to up load and clicking upload, which would seem reasonable to me, but hadn't worked, however when I just dragged and dropped the files from my folder to the FTP prog. and clicked upload it went through no problem and all was well. Why that should be is a mystery but I'll know in the future.
    Derek

Hi.
    This may be one problem that we have encountered before. The name of the folder containing all graphics has a dot in it. Namely, it is:
    index.html_files
    Some software may not work well with such naming.
    I don't know if this is what has actually happened with your site, but I have really no other ideas.

Thank you.

BTW In the next version of the filter this folder will be named differently. So the problem will be eliminated.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Hi.
    This may be one problem that we have encountered before. The name of the folder containing all graphics has a dot in it. Namely, it is:
    index.html_files
    Some software may not work well with such naming.
    I don't know if this is what has actually happened with your site, but I have really no other ideas.

Thank you.

BTW In the next version of the filter this folder will be named differently. So the problem will be eliminated.
    Thanks for that.
    Its good to hear that the problem will be fixed next time, though as I said, dragging and dropping rather than importing to the ftp client eliminated the problem of uploading for whatever reason, so at least I now feel I can go ahead with the planned site using Xara
    rather than Frontpage.
    Derek

Glad that you go it sorted out Derek.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.