Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Never made something with a 3D program, but comin here and seeing the stunning things I see people do I just had to give it a go. I made this with poser 5 and it's my own face, i'm just playing around and i'm realy not knowing what i'm doing, but i learn as I go,untill now I have only looked at the tutorials from Sketchup and that has little to do with 3D the way i want it (although it is a great program!).
    Any comment on wich porgram I should use i'm a beginner who's alway amazed with the thing you do on this 3D forum, hope to learn all I can from the things I read here.

P.S. I'm mostly interested in programs that use faces of any kind to make kinda comics.

Greetings JohnLogan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myface.gif 
Views:	485 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	14342  

Never made something with a 3D program, but comin here and seeing the stunning things I see people do I just had to give it a go. I made this with poser 5 and it's my own face, i'm just playing around and i'm realy not knowing what i'm doing, but i learn as I go,untill now I have only looked at the tutorials from Sketchup and that has little to do with 3D the way i want it (although it is a great program!).
    Any comment on wich porgram I should use i'm a beginner who's alway amazed with the thing you do on this 3D forum, hope to learn all I can from the things I read here.

P.S. I'm mostly interested in programs that use faces of any kind to make kinda comics.

Greetings JohnLogan.

Looks very good for a first of anything there John

I really don't have any opinions of just which app is the best to make cartoon chars... just thought I would say what a terrific job you did here, and... welcome to the wonderful world of 3D

Thx very much gidgit i'm havin alot of fun with the 3D programs, it took me about 6 hours to make this and I didn't know a thing about poser, I wanted to learn the poser program because of the things I see Mike Bailey do, guess he's one of the (if not the)master(s) of 3D on this forum.

Greetings JohnLogan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turnin_face.gif 
Views:	433 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	16605  

Hi John,

Welcome to the 3D forum. I have to agree with Gidget, great first use of 3D.

I don't know which program is 'best' for comic style. I imagine that you could do that in any program once you are familiar with it's tools.

If you have been reading the posts here, you know that Gidget and my favorite box modeling program is Wings3D. Easy to use and it's free.

I think you can still download Truespace version 3 for free. An upgrade to version 4 is about $100 USD, and well worth the cost. Upgrades to newer version are more expensive but the newer version have more features and improvements on others.

The learning edition to Maya version 5 is inexpensive, about $50 USD if I remember correctly. The export and save functions are limited, but other wise it has all the features of the full version. Very intuitive program to use.

Cinema 4D is another very good application. I'm in Randy Rives' intro to 3D modeling class right now, and loving it. The version 6CE is available as a student. The class is only $20 and an excellent bargain. Great lesson by Randy and the program included. A new class will be starting next month.

ZBrush is another fine program. It's different than other 3D programs, but lots of fun to use.

Thats all the 3D programs I've used.

Rinocerous is another excellent program. Randy may be able to answer any questions you have about it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Blender...Blennnderrr
    It's free and "friendly"

Joking aside, welcome to the forum and may I say, WOW ! Good work !

Dan
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Don't listen to Dan. I made the dive into 3D with Blender and I think my brain is twisted forever. Now I left-click on everything...
    I was wondering when you 2D greats are going to make the transition to 3D. With your skills, I'm expecting masterpieces to show up very soon. Welcome to 3D world, John! One word of caution, though. This thing's addictive.

Great job John! The face looks a little to reflective, but very good job for a first try (heck, even a 2n or 3rd try)

Do you want to animate the cartoon characters? If so I would recommend you try Animation Master.
    www.hash.com
    It is not expensive $199.00, and has great animation tools. Can be a little crash prone,(latest version is suppose to be much better). Other than that any of the suggestions already mention would be a good start.
    Check out my class http://www.eclecticacademy.com/
    Intro to 3D Modeling. For $20.00 you get Cinema 4D CE and the six week long class.

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/

Here are some image contest links. Check out what AM can do. Looks like their price has gone up. (299.00)

My biggest gripe with AM was the modeling tools for objects other than characters. But that is just a personal thing.

Welcome aboard John.