Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X1 = Fun

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Below is a 'doodle' just done in X1. It features a microscopy image from the molecular expressions website. My derivative work has been extensively modified from the original. The original was a image of asprin molecules and I have their permission to use the image.

Regards, Ross

Below is a 'doodle' just done in X1. It features a microscopy image from the molecular expressions website. My derivative work has been extensively modified from the original. The original was a image of asprin molecules and I have their permission to use the image.

Regards, Ross

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asprin.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	17212  

Very interesting. Great colors and design.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

No wonder they do not know how asprin works. cool Image. Which part is the asprin?
    John/DOT

Cool image Ross ... I see visions like that when I NEED aspirin

Cool, Ross!

I think we had one of those friendly challenges here at TG (eons ago now) using imagery from the molecular expressions website? Didn't we?

I remember the web site having fantastic imagery of all kind of crazy things! Perhaps you could post the url?

Thanks for sharing, Ross!

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Here's the url for the Molecular Expressions website. I'd personally include it in any list of top 100 websites - it is a truly great site well worth hours of visiting. I also note that the site's creator did extend to all of us here the permission to utilize their images in our own derivitive non-commercial artworks. If you do you must acknowledge your use of their image when you post. Above I should have written: "It is a derivative work using a image copyrighted by by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University and is used with permission".

Regarding permissions - here's what I wrote back in July 2001 on this matter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I noted above that I contacted the site owner regarding permissions. He has replied favorably! This is what he wrote:
    "Ross,

Your conditions are satisfactory to us, provided you and your artists give us the appropriate credit for any derivative works.

Regards----Mike

Michael W. Davidson
    National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
    1800 E. Paul Dirac Dr.
    The Florida State University
    Tallahassee, Florida 32310
    email: davidson@magnet.fsu.edu
    web: http://microscopy.fsu.edu "

And here is what I had written to him and which outlines the conditions of use he agreed to. (If you want to use his images in any other context you have to get his permission):

"Dear Mr. Davidson,

I stumbled upon the Molecular Expressions website today. It was a very enjoyable discovery for me. The microscopy images are consistently beautiful and the site very informative.

I'm an Architect who in my spare time enjoys developing computer graphics. The software I use is called Xara X and I moderate two non-commercial online forums of Xara enthusiasts and artists. I am hopeful that you might extend permission to the forum users to allow the use of your images in non-commercial derivative works of art. Perhaps the permission could limit publication of any derivative works to the online forum and we can require (and enforce through moderator team participation) that appropriate credit be given. The quality of artistic works produced by forum participants can be quite high. If this proposal is acceptable to you, I can imagine you could benefit by having the potential to add to your site a gallery of derivative artworks based on your images. Perhaps as part of your limited permission to us to post derivative works at our forums, could be the right for you to republish (with appropriate credit) any of those works at Molecular Expressions.

The forums I'm envolved with are: The Xara Gallery and The Xara Forum. Participants are from all over the world. The forums are on TalkGraphics.Com which is a public service to the computer graphics community and is sponsored by Xara Ltd. I hope you'll visit and I look forward to a response on this proposal.

Regards, Ross Macintosh"

I hope others will explore the Mollecular Expressions Website and if they find images that inspire, feel free to create a derivative work for posting in the Xara Forum or the Xara Gallery Forum. I think the microscopy images would make great textures, backgrounds, tracing materials etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the old challenge thread that Risto wrote about. And here is a thread whereI created one of my all-time favorite images where I used a molecular expression's image as a fill. Here's another one too. And last but not least - in this old thread is the cover I did for OMNI magazine featuring another dirivative work.

Regards, Ross

I really like the image Ross but is all that white snow stuff around the molicule too?? Artistic expression??

Could you post a version without the 'snow' please?

It's very distracting to me!!

I think the rest of the image is really nice. Highly complex and now I'm a'scared to take 'dem nasty asprin's!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard - the white stuff was an experiment in using a brush to create a border effect. Sorry it freaked you out! As for posting it without - No-can-do! It is what it is even if it causes seizures.

Just for you I did make a new thingie without any freaky border effects...

Regards, Ross

PS Again the attachment is a derivative work using a image copyrighted by by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University and is used with permission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asprin2.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	15410