Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Removing white space

A black object made BMT with a grayscale image appeared to work much easier. XXP

Rich
    IP

Sorry Rich 'BMT' = ???
    IP

Right-click on the layer in the layer gallery, and chose 'New Mask Layer -> From Image.' Then select 'Invert Mask Data' in the window that pops up.

You can then draw on a layer under the one you've modified, and the bottom layer shows as I think you are trying to achieve. Is that what you are after?
    IP

BMT = Bit Map transparency?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

My interpretation is a transparent image having pixels that are RGB 0,0,0 only. The transparency itself is according to the grayscale values of the original image.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRBL.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	51101  
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sarah66 View Post
    I tried this, and it doesn't achieve the effect I need.

The image is not purely just black and white. The edges are anti-aliased and so there is a slight gradient at the edge, with some pixels in various shades of grey. Your technique takes out the ones that are pure white but leaves the grey ones grey. I need those grey pixels to be partially transparent. eg for a pixel that is 50% grey in the original, I need it to be 100% black but 50% transparent. That way, if I superimpose the line art over a background colour that is not white, there's no grey "halo" round the edge. If I raise the tolerance higher, it takes out some of those grey pixels altogether but I don;t want them removed, I need them to be still there but "faded", so the background colour will show through.

Does that make sense?
    If you save as Psp image then you will keep that transparency Taking the PNG route using the optimizer and use alpha transparency it will be saved with the transparency as a alpha channel for further use
    IP

It appeared that the masking layer (inverted image) looked like an alpha channel. Just opposite of Xara when an image is used for transparency.

I made a new layer and filled it with black. With the masking layer, this gave a black image with the transparency with respect to the gray image. The original image would be transparent, but gray itself.

An optimized PNG seemed to me that it would have something similar to a binary alpha channel. The transparency would be full transparent or full opacity.

I am still trying to learn how to do this and make sense of things. I can only my old computer in the day light due to severe black and white problems at nignt. Skunks.

Rich
    IP

In psp If you add a mask layer It on its own is not a alpha channel If you delete the mask it will ask if you want to merge if you say yes you now have a image with transparency just the same as if you had used the wand to select and remove the white.

If you add a new layer and move it to the bottom you can fill with colour to see how the transparency appearers on each Background Colour

Png can store partial transparency unlike gif that only instructs the programme not to paint the white.
    Depending on your use for the image saving as PSP or PSD my be easier
    IP