Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: New to all this 3D malarky

Hi Adey, I should have made it clear when I posted the graphic that it was to show you what was possible to achieve, hence a non-spinning version that couldn't be used as a freebie. You'll need to get to grips with Xara Xtreme's tools in order to trace your bitmap, so that you end up with a usable vector image that you can paste into Xara 3D. Xara Xtreme is very easy to use for this purpose, but it may take a while to get the hang of the shape editor tool for tracing. Getting the logo to spin in Xara 3D is the easiest part of the process. The tutorials that Bill has linked above by Mike Sims are very good. They will take the mystery out of the malarky (great word!). Good luck with the project. The trial versions last a month, that's much more time than you'll need. Once you see what great programs they are, I'm sure you'll want the full product. We look forward to seeing your progress.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    They will take the mystery out of the malarky (great word!).
    Main Entry:
    ma·lar·key
    Variant(s):
    also ma·lar·ky \mə-ˈlär-kē\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    origin unknown
    Date: 1929
    : insincere or foolish talk :
    bunkum

I guess TG has had a certain amount of foolish talk posted at times, but not something I think can be fairly applied to Xara Software

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think a little moderation may be required to prevent too much malarky from continuing within this thread.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bringing this thread back into line and, again, using my naiveity. Could someone answer a basic question for me.

The 3d graphic that Bob kindly (albeit naughty) created for me (below) - is it possible with Xara to make that image spin? Basically has the hard work been done?

Sorry to sound so dumb, I am a complete novice when it comes to more technical stuff than just managing a website.

Hope one of you guys can help.

Adey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	district crest.gif 
Views:	171 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	51068  

answer 1:

xara 3D does not make images spin - it makes vector shapes spin

you need to trace your image in xara xtreme to produce the vector shape[s], which is what Bob has done - but what he posted is not the vector, it is simply another image to illustrate what he did

once you have loaded the vector shape[s] from xara xtreme into xara 3D you can then apply image[s] as a texture onto these shape[s] to give the detail

this is covered by the tutorials referrence above by Bill and Steve [sledger]

answer 2:

using xara xtreme's animation mode you can sort of make that image spin - but it will look nowhere near as good as using xara 3D

summary: - no, the hard work has not been posted up
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Really think i'm in out of my depth here. I'll go down the 'paying someone to create it' route.

Thanks again
    Adey

Why don't you follow this easy tutorial?
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=27395

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by Adey G View Post
    Really think i'm in out of my depth here. I'll go down the 'paying someone to create it' route.
    Did you actually download the trials as suggested?
    Did you even try to have a shot at it yourself? We're here to help when you need guidance with Xara3D or Xara Xtreme.
    Once you start to learn how to use those applications, the doors open wider than your wallet

At the end of the day, you would need to pay for the xara 3D program as the trial has a watermarked background that is not removed until you purchase the product. [Xara xtreme is unrestricted for 30 day trial].

So it is your choice - if you see the need to learn this for future use, it is very easy once you have the method understood, but I know it may well look very hard at first if it is all new.

We will of course help if you decide to get the programs and do it for yourself

Either way, good luck.
    Nothing lasts forever...