Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Kowulz caricature thread

Here are a couple of recent caricatures I did for the Firing Line on the NCN Nation Caricaturist Network Forum.

I am also adding a few other things I have done with Xara.

Fun!

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

Rock

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 VS. PhotoShop VS. Painter X VS. Illustrator CS

One more. I designed a logo and T-shirt for an electricians union and took the logo and made this afterwards. Pretty cool!

That's fantastic!!!

With the above in mind, and my own explorations of the trial, I have no doubt that Xara Xtreme is software that I will purchase for my own professional use.

That raises one question that could start another topic: why is Xara unknown here in Australia?

In 6 months of reading the SEEK job ads for graphics I would divide up the type of 2D software skills as asked by employers to be:

70% Adobe Illustrator
    25% Coreldraw
    5% MS Publisher [low end jobs like bashing together a tennis club flyer]

I have, to my regret and astonishment, only ever seen 1 ad in 6 months that asked for Xara. Now, for an add page that adds about 30 jobs a week to its graphics section, that is a low Xara %!

Xara is still of professional value for me in spite of this. Its speed and superb 3D tools give me something that is far better for my own work, making a job folio etc than is Illustrator.

But its unknown status in the Antipodes is utterly mystifying. It isn't its lack of Mac platform support since Coreldraw is the same. Yet people buy the far more expensive Adobe stuff. I don't know. I am stumped.

Fun stuff, Dave. Some lovely work here.

@ grenadi: Not just in your part of the world, Xara seems to be a fairly well-kept secret everywhere else too. Even the UK, which is a surprise as it's a UK company.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Dave, I particularly like the IBEW logo plaque. Really nice.

And the Tattoo Wearhouse ones stimulate my desire to get some more ink on my own body...
    ---
    Will

Here are a few more recent caricatures I have done. You can see that I am experimenting with some of Xara's tools that I am not totally comfortable with yet, but I think the results are good if not traditional. Kind of mixed medias..

Big Al (Lots of transparencies used for shading, color, highlights)

Freaky NYer

Nelson (His heavily gelled spiked hair was a challenge!)

Sean (Is the hair too Irish?)

Angie (My first shot with the hideous proctological nuisance AIRBRUSH (HA!), but the results looked pretty good. A little less time intensive then mapping all of the transparencies)

Thanks, Dave

Critiques & Comments always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kowulz View Post
    My first shot with the hideous proctological nuisance AIRBRUSH
    I'm missing something somewhere ....... Where's the Airbrush in Xara.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

proctologically a pita or not that's a very good use of the airbrush stroke

you can extract the shape and make a few airbrushes of different color shades, makes things a bit easier sometimes - too many however and xara complains..

keith - brush tool - natural media [which are loaded as default]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve. Was thinking of something completely different - More like the airbrush in Windows Paint. That's why I was confused.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Hi Kowulz! LOVE the drawings.

Would it be possible to throw a couple on here with the original pix of the people next to it just to see the effects you're drawing?

Very cool
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris