Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Time for an update?

I use Webstyle occasionally for menus and some of the tableless CSS templates to generate the HTML, after that, guess what... insert/open the output in a CoffeeCup product, so in that sense I have a foot in both camps.

Since Webstyle's initial release, even since Webstyle 4, the world of web design has changed dramatically and there is now a plethora of packages out there to achieve what Webstyle does. It is no longer cutting edge and, in my opinion, vastly over-priced in today's world, little wonder additional templates are dangled as a carrot to buy.

For the same outlay you can purchase a very good WYSIWYG editor and a menu generating program, not to mention that fact that Xara Xtreme, the holy grail itself, is only $10 more.

On the issue of Xara (Magix) vs Coffeecup, as I've said elsewhere, as long as Charles Moir is on-board, I've no problems with Xara (apart from copy protection!). Coffeeup's "free upgrades for life" is amazing, I've picked up three upgrades in the past month, it's like Christmas all over again when you get an email informing you. However CC's ever increasing ranges of modules lends itself to that particular marketing model, with Xara having a significantly smaller product range and more complex software packages, the "free for life" is never going to be an option.

I seriously doubt whether Webstyle will ever be updated, I just hope that Xara continues to develop the HTML capability of Xtreme.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

I agree that WebStyle is very over-priced. On the other hand, I find the workflow - from choosing the initial design, through inserting the text, tweaking the colours, and then using the superb sizing feature - simply unbeatable in any other product. It's just so incredibly simple and powerful.

Xtreme is great, but it is no substitute for WebStyle when it comes to producing buttons and navbars.

Perhaps the best approach for Xara would be to incorporate the WebStyle workflow into Xtreme. It sounds like a good option and I'd be happy with that.

Thack

I think the fact that it has been years since webstyle has been updated, it would be most unlikely that Xara would make any effort with this programme. They obviously see xtreme as the future.

It wouldn't be so bad had Xara been keen to explore CSS solutions as a replacement for webstyle.

Still - we can all dream!
    Last edited by Nuncio; 02 August 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuncio View Post
    They obviously see xtreme as the future.
    But I've tried to use Xtreme to make buttons and a navigation bar, and it's hopeless compared with WebStyle.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Thack

Quote Originally Posted by Thack View Post
    But I've tried to use Xtreme to make buttons and a navigation bar, and it's hopeless compared with WebStyle.

Thack
    No, you are not missing anything, and you are right, xtreme is hopeless compared to webstyle for making buttons and nav bars etc.

Webstyle has a huge fan base that just wants an update to what was once a great (and still is ish!!) programme that did what it said, and did it easily with impressive results. All that Webstyle needs is a makeover, some new free templates, a better and more modern web page intergration (CSS and Flash), more user manipulation of graphics etc

I suspect that if the guys at Xara actually put there thinking caps on, they could actually come up with a major webstyle update pretty easily (that is if they actually have the skill base). Look, they have a whole user group here in the forum that they could get to beta test, and who better to give feedback and suggestions, than the guys who have previuosly purchased webstyle before.

BTW - the same could also be said for the other software titles as well!

No, you are not missing anything, and you are right, xtreme is hopeless compared to webstyle for making buttons and nav bars etc.
    What is Xara using then, for producing the Webstyle elements? If they have a special homemade editor, it would be incredible if they would include it with a next version (wouldn't mind paying a good deal more for having it included).

All that Webstyle needs is a makeover, some new free templates, a better and more modern web page intergration (CSS and Flash), more user manipulation of graphics etc
    I'll second that.

Rich

Could we persuade Xara to give Webstyle a little polish? I believe it's been four years since it was last touched.
    Yea, I think the "forgot" to tell that during the latest promotion of the program...

I've used webstyle for years. Yes, it *is* time for an update. Even if there are no new features added, the elements are now simply dated beyond belief.

Navbars and buttons with a Web2.0 feel (icons on the buttons, etc) is a must-have. No offense, but 80% of the buttons and navbars, not to mention the templates, are so out of date that you really can't use them any more.

If resources are stretched at Xara, maybe the answer is fresh template/theme packs. Hire a graphic artist or two and put together 2008 styles and elements. I'd gladly pay for better, more modern looking elements and support for 1024-resolution size pages in the page templates.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Thack
    I would say that (and this is just my opinion) that it isn't hopeless, it's just different. You do have more steps to create a button or navigation bar in Xtreme vs. Webstyle but you also have much more control. What I mean by more control is that you aren't limited to the design styles that come with Webstyle. I have both software packages and for years was an advocate of being able to create my own templates for Webstyle, but with the new ability to export to html in Xtreme, this has become obsolete. I think that if you give Xtreme another try, you will find that it is much more flexible. Again this is just my opinion.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by dotme View Post
    I've used webstyle for years. Yes, it *is* time for an update. Even if there are no new features added, the elements are now simply dated beyond belief.
    I pretty much gave up on Webstyle about a year ago. Needed to reinstall it (hardware upgrade) and discovered I could not access my account and re-download the template packs I had bought. That plus the fact the graphic elements are seriously out of date.

I keep hoping something will be done ... it was in its time a "best in class" piece of software IMHO, and it is a shame the new ownership have let it languish.