Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Time for an update?

Could we persuade Xara to give Webstyle a little polish? I believe it's been four years since it was last touched.

The first thing I'd like to see is to make it Vista-compatible (at the moment it must run as an administrator).

The second area, which I think is VERY important, is to provide much more help with integrating its output into the current crop of Web editors. I'm thinking of Namo WebEditor 8 and NetObjects Fusion 11 in particular. Also maybe Serif WebPlus X2 (although that is pretty strong when it comes to buttons, navbars, etc, so WebStyle is less important for that).

Meanwhile, I'm desperately hoping Xara WON'T spoil the current, superbly effective user interface and workflow!

Thack

Default Re: Time for an update?

While we're at it, do any of you folks have views on what you'd like to see in an updated Webstyle?

Also, does anyone have any idea how we might communicate our thoughts to the people that count in Xara?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

There are members of the Xara Ltd staff that visit the forums.

This thread you have here would be a place to post suggestions you would like to see in Webstyle.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I've been looking at some of WebStyle's competitors for inspiration on how a revamped WebStyle might look.

[Product], from [link removedl] looks pretty impressive.

In particular, it seems to be able to "inject" the relevant javascript and HTML into the existing HTML pages of your website. I think this looks like a really useful approach, and would love to see Xara look into something like this.

I haven't trialled [product] yet, but I'd be very surprised indeed if it were as good to use as WebStyle. But WebStyle really should be made Vista-compatible at the very least, and improving the ease with which its output can be incorporated into your website is a close second.

Thack
    Last edited by remi; 01 August 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: link removed, please consult the forum rules

I agree - Webstyle is in need of an update, and now. There are loads of sleek programmes out there that do fantastic jobs, take a look at OpenCube for example.

I would also have thought that perhaps Xara would have followed the examples of companies such as CoffeeCup.Com who offer free updates, for life. Also, I am sure that Xara would have a greater fan base if they offered all the templates for Webstyle as a free gift to its existing customers.

How about we the consumer get a 'Thank You' for being loyal patrons? I wouldn't hold my breath though!

Hi Nuncio,

I wonder, what do you do for a living and how much of your work do you spend for free for your customers out there?

Why should a software company pay a developer to develop new functions or a designer to create new templates, if they cannot earn money with this work? I mean, we are not talking about Open Source. They do that for their living. What are your expectations?

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Hi Nuncio,

I wonder, what do you do for a living and how much of your work do you spend for free for your customers out there?

Why should a software company pay a developer to develop new functions or a designer to create new templates, if they cannot earn money with this work? I mean, we are not talking about Open Source. They do that for their living. What are your expectations?

Remi
    I think I would ask everyone to take a look at CoffeeCup as a great example of what a software company should be like. They offer free software updates for life, and support that is second to none; and their software is pretty good as well. The simple fact that Over 47,034,857 people have downloaded their software speaks volumes. (No, I don't work for them, but I do use their software a lot).

The answer to your question is simple, because I am a loyal customer who is more likely to buy the companies other software titles because I get such a great deal and good service on the one software title I originally purchased. And lets face it, the best form of publicity is word of mouth - if your customers rave about your software, how many new people will become customers as well.

I love Xara's software titles, I have tried them all at some point via Trials - I own several titles including Webstyle. I just think that Xara is missing a perfect opportunity to redevelope this title and make it brilliant for the people who use todays technologies.

Sorry - I didn't mean to make this sound like a sermon. I just get passionate about things like this not just as a user, but also as a website and software developer.

Download success of free Software trials is not so import. More import is the business success and I don't know how much money they do with their Software.

Their marketing seems to be good (including their word of mouth presence in forums .

I must say, I have learned to be a critical customer, instead of a loyal one. If one product of a Software Company is really good, this doesn't mean, that every product is "great". Look at Adobe: Photoshop is good. Illustrator is not so good. The same with Xara: Xara Xtreme is good, but I don't own a license of the other Xara products. CoffeeCup's products are for the beginners (in my eyes) and I'm not interested in them.

Different users, different views.

Remi

Just for the record, unlike Nuncio I'm not advocating free upgrades.

I'd happily pay for an upgrade to WebStyle, if it had the features I've outlined.

I'd love others to join in - Xara are a great company who write great software, and I think they really do listen to their customers.

So, customers, speak out! What would you like to see in the next version of WebStyle?

Thack
    Last edited by Thack; 02 August 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    The same with Xara: Xara Xtreme is good, but I don't own a license of the other Xara products.
    I own licenses for 3D6, Xtreme 4 and WebStyle 4. I think they are all superb, except that WebStyle needs polishing up along the lines I've mentioned.

I really hope Xara turn their attention to it - it's a great product to use.

Thack