Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What 3D Program do I use?

I do have the free version of Maya, but I stopped using it not long ago as it kept gnawing on my mind how expensive it is, and if I am to learn making graphics for a game that our little team has panned out, then I need to know my way around the program I am going to use for the actual project-game, and we are not rich people
    So therefore I had to stop with Maya before getting too hooked, so I can learn a program I can actually use for our production. And frankly, Blender I am sure will work just fine, since I've seen recommendations for it and scanned the tutorials briefly. It looks more and more promising every time I read about it.

Of course, there are a lot of other programs I will use, this is true, can't use only one. But that's a bit easier to figure out than the 3D program, as I have no previous experience what so ever, that's why it was hard to know which one is better than another. But yes, it is the individual user that decides what works for them.

So much help and advice, thanks a lot!

The best thing to get into 3d game stuff is to post such questions at a site more dedicated towards such...

Then post all the gathered info here so we can learn and view your progress and cheer you along.... looking forward

Without doubt,I would suggest MAYA.It's an advanced 3D software i ever seen.I have been working with this software for 1 year.You can try it.
    ------------------
    siva
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 18 October 2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: removed url link

I wouldn't recommend Maya as your introduction to 3D. A lot of people I know who use it wouldn't either. It's superb in commercial setups with teams of people behind it, but not for anyone unless they are sure they're embarking on a professional 3D career.

Paul

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I use SketchUp from Google. There is a very functional free version. Relative to most other 3d software it is intuitive to use and can be a real pleasure. The modelling can then be exported to Kerkythea - a free photorealistic rendering engine that is relatively easy to learn. If you visit the SketchUp gallery forum at SketchUcation.com you will see the kinds of stuff users are modelling with SketchUp. The gallery at the Kerkythea site will show its capabilities.

Regards, Ross

PS - I just thought I'd add that this FREE SketchUp + Kerkythea option is available to both MacOS and Windows users. Both applications have versions for each operating system. There is also a Lenux version of Kerkythea available. There is also a Blender-to-Kerythea exporter so you can model in Blender but then render in Kerky (which is easier to learn than Blender). There's also a 3dsMax-to-Kerkythea exporter.

I should also add that unlike most free options, the End User Agreements of both the SketchUP & Kerkythea allow the software to be used for both academic and commercial purposes.
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 05 November 2008 at 09:47 AM.

If you are running a mac there are a few other options open, one of those being Cheetah 3D...

I really have no experience with said app, however I can tell you that I have been watching this app from the sidelines for a few years now, and it's development has really stayed on course, from what I can make out of some of the pics shown on the site, as well reading through the features list....

Cheetah 3D looks to be somewhat of a smaller clone of C4D...

I have been dabbling around with 3D programs for some time now. I just saw a YouTube video on SketchUp's Blog about a studio called Massive Black and how they use SU for concept designs. They said it was one of the easiest to learn and most intuitive 3D apps which made it easy for 2D artists to produce 3D work in relatively short time. I would agree with that and have been using SU for years now for sets and scenes.

I'm currently getting into learning Blender not just because it's freeware but because there is so much available on the net for teaching you how to use it. It seems that the Blender community is as enthusiastic about it as we are about Xara. So I'm going to give it a whirl and see if I can finally learn how to make models in Blender.