Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What 3D Program do I use?

Hey

I'm quite new to this 3D animation world. I have been drawing basically all my life and have used some programs, briefly and fleetingly. Either the complication has made me loose motivation, or the price-tag has made me lose inspiration to continue the free trials of various programs around the globe, some I've not even tried as one look at the interface has made me give out one big sigh.

The one and only program that got me hooked and that I had lots of fun with while following the tutorial built into the program was Autodesk Maya - Yeah, I know, choose the most expensive one why don't you. But seriously, everything was flowing, it was perfect, no confusions, all so simple to follow. But yep, the price is just way beyond my resources, in this lifetime.

I do have a plan with it all, I want to make game graphics. I know I am like a fish out of water and maybe there are much better programs out there, that are easy to get, no confusing interfaces and a million key-combinations to use the features in the program. If there is, I wouldn't know where to start. I've surfed and surfed, then my boyfriend told me to turn to a forum and look for info. Well, i figured the best way would be to just ask, as I am tired of surfing and searching, for now anyhow, I'm sure I'll get a new burst of energy.

So, the basic question:

What program would YOU guys recommend for someone who wants to learn to make computer graphics, that's versitile, that doesn't jumble the nerves in my brain but has many options and goodies, PLUS is affordable or even free? (yeah I really do wish).

Default Re: What 3D Program do I use?

If you want a very powerful 3D program that is free, try Blender.

Here is a very nice page of written and video tutorials.

http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Without a doubt, I would advise you to look at Xara Xtreme 4 for your graphics. A free 30 day trial can be downloaded from here.

If you want simple 3D animations (although limited) try Xara 3D6, again, a free 30 day trial can be downloaded from here.

These are both very affordable, and help can be had through this forum anytime for either product.

Look through the Xara Gallery here or on Xara's site to see what it's capable of
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 21 July 2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wings 3D or Silo for Box or SubD modeling respectively

ZBrush or MudBox for micropoly paint modeling

Most any latest version big app for the rest, depending on the direction you wish to take and how much money you have

and yea, blender is a very powerful set of tools for someone willing...

Welcome to TG.

Free, Wings http://www.wings3d.com/

Cheap, Silo 2.0 http://nevercenter.com/

Lots of goodies, Modo 302 http://www.luxology.com/

Thanks for the replies. I have checked out the various programs suggested.

The Blender thing I had already downloaded, and is the most promising so far I suppose, except that either my brain is just too tired to see its potential right now, or it's a bit complex. Something is not clicking, however, it does seem to have quite a lot of options, so I am not going to give up on that one, I'm gonna give it a fair go and work my way through it, although it feels a bit slow-started (probably cause I'm tired )

MudBox, hmm, quite expensive, but yeh it's Autodesk, affordable compared to Maya and MAXON CINEMA 4D that I have checked out previously and found the most intriguing and quite expensive. I have this tendency to check the price before I start drooling over the "what-if's"

What path am I planning to take, well, I am planning to do the graphics in a game. A long way to go, but I'm an optimist, besides, it's a project, and I am the one with the will and skill to do the 3D's.

I have downloaded the trial-versions and will give them a try, check them out and so on. So, again, thanks alot for the suggestions, really appreciate it.

Depending on where you are perhaps: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=33868

Not forgetting: www.newtek.com

I'm in Finland, so not too close. But they do sell magazines from all-over the world in the bigger stores, so I'll be sure to check out the stands, though I don't trust my luck. But thanks!

I personnally use Blender. Yes the learning curve is steap but well worth it.
    If I can give you a good advice, first, go trough the manual (wiki): http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual . The "first animation" section will give you a good idea of what Blender can do.
    There's a ton of tutorial and help all over the web.

Good luck.

Dan
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Hi Sahri

If you feel confortable with Maya you can download completely free the learning edition.
    And maybe later you get the money to buy the "big mom". I have it although I don't use it because don't like the workflow in Maya.
    I think it's extremely imortant for someone to feel comfortable since the start with it's favourite program that's why there are so many. Also note that there isn't such a thing like the "all in one". You allways have to learn more.
    Finally consider that the program does nothing until you inventive mind says so, and this is a mistake a lot of people does. They think the program can do what they see, but actually is the inventive mind that can take the best from it. Most 3D programs have the same tools, in fact is the user that determines how good the program is.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=7639525

Emanuel
    Last edited by emel; 22 July 2008 at 10:01 AM.