Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to port files from windows version to linux version?

Hi,

I am moving from Windows version Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 to XareLX in Linux. Most of my files wont open on xaralx. Understandable, but i was wondering what the best way is to save as much work as possible. There are some features not supported, but wich ones? If i could know that, i could make sure in windows that my files do not make use of those features so that they would open in linux. Or is it better to export them to another format (wich one)?

Thanks!

Matt
    IP

Default Re: How to port files from windows version to linux version?

If I was you I'd save all files to a usb memorystick and download a live cd or dvd distro that has xaralx and try open them there to see how far I get. There were some discussion, on this forum, about Puppylinux being distributed with xaralx. And finally are you really sure you want to make the switch? I posted a mini tutorial (if it even can be called that) on how to get XaraXtreme running on vmware running windows xp some months ago, on this forum, if you get really desperate. If you're used to Xara Pro then going to xaralx might feel like going back to stoneages
    Last edited by con; 18 July 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Tip of the week: Proof-read before pushing Submit button :D
    IP

hello,

I think i did not make my question clear. I have no problem accessing the files, i can get to all my windows files in linux, no problem.

The problem is that xaralx cannot open all XAR-files, most likely cause the files are using elements not supported in xaralx. So my question is: what functionalities are not supported in xaralx (if i know this i might in Xtreme Pro change my files so that they do not use unsupported functions, and then i may be able to open them in xaralx), or alternatively what format to export them to (eps?).

PS: i opened xaralx a few times, but i did not feel like returning to the stone age, actually i felt like coming home. You'd be surprised what the linux version can do (apart from multipage support i have yet to discover any differences).
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by killerwhale65 View Post
    hello,

I think i did not make my question clear. I have no problem accessing the files, i can get to all my windows files in linux, no problem.

The problem is that xaralx cannot open all XAR-files, most likely cause the files are using elements not supported in xaralx. So my question is: what functionalities are not supported in xaralx (if i know this i might in Xtreme Pro change my files so that they do not use unsupported functions, and then i may be able to open them in xaralx), or alternatively what format to export them to (eps?).
    One I can think of is the plugins thing doesnt work or is not implemented. What I mostly meant was see which files open and what do they have in common. And the files that dont open what do they have in common. Trial and error never fails!
    PS: i opened xaralx a few times, but i did not feel like returning to the stone age, actually i felt like coming home. You'd be surprised what the linux version can do (apart from multipage support i have yet to discover any differences).
    Yea, I know forgot the sarkasm tags Never used Xara Pro myself. We got regular Xara on windows at work, but I prefer working in xaralx for some reason...feels better in some way.
    IP

ok, sorry i misunderstood you.

I dont use plugins so that wont be it.

But i will try and see what the files have in comon.
    IP