Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Liquid Text W/HTML Export to DW?

Is it possible to export liquid text, and it's centered, irregularly shaped graphic into a webpage being created with DreamWeaver?

I presently own XX 3.2, but would have no problems with upgrading to XX 4 strictly for the 'liquid text' feature for use with web design.

Thanks,
    Mark

Default Re: Liquid Text W/HTML Export to DW?

Welcome to TG

It's possible if you use some small tricks.
    First thing that comes to mind are inline frames to show the Xtreme created page (as Inline frame Content) or even as a PHP include.
    Editing Xtremes html output directly with Dreamweaver will probably break it.

Not sure what you mean here? Is it the centred text and graphics exported to dreamweaver as "html" that you want to be centred in your web page here. Surely you can do that in dreamweaver as CSS?
    Design is thinking made visual.

An approved method to produce a well coded HTML side with the help of Xara Xtreme is the following:

1. Create the layout and the necessary graphics with Xara Xtreme.
    2. Export each object piece by piece as bitmap image (with or without transparency - depends on your layout).
    3. Code your HTML together with a flexible CSS based layout.
    4. Use additional techniques like Flash or JavaScript, in order to perfect your work (choose the unobtrusive way as much as possible).
    5. In order to let text flow around images and let the text be flexible and editable you can use the "Sliced and Diced Sandbags" technique.

Remi

In order to let text flow around images and let the text be flexible and editable you can use the "Sliced and Diced Sandbags" technique.
    This will not work if the repelling object is placed in the midle of the text (i.e. if it splits lines on two).
    Besides, this method is extremely complicated with complex shapes (not rectangles) especially if you try to implement it manually.
    There are also some problems with browser compatibility in some cases. And the produced result is generally a poor code. So I wouldn't suggest to use it except for extreme cases.
    Last edited by covoxer; 18 July 2008 at 01:46 PM.
    John.

Thank you all for your replies and I apologize for not responding sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Not sure what you mean here? Is it the centred text and graphics exported to dreamweaver as "html" that you want to be centred in your web page here. Surely you can do that in dreamweaver as CSS?
    Albacore, Yes, I want to export a block of text, centered within it is a piece of clip art that has no linear borders (square, rectangular etc.) The person that has asked me to put this together for them wants the text to be 'Repelled' around all of it's irregularities.

I've played around with DW for the last few days and have found no way to make this happen. I can align left, right, center, top or bottom if the graphic is contained in a fixed height or width container.

I am not a designer or coder, just trying to help this person out with what I thought was going to be easy.

The reason for using DW and not just building the page entirely with Xtreme is so this person can modify the page on their own later, and to keep the code as clean and fast as possible. He's not budging one bit on this text wrap (liquid) issue.

Sledger's recommendation of the iframe seems doable and will probably be the way I attempt this first. The PHP includes method is more familiar to my limited experience, I've actually used it on a couple different blogs but I'm not sure if it will work with this 'graphic' bit yet, I've only used it for text.

Initially I looked at the technique of defining each row of text set at different lengths with CSS but quickly gave up on the idea because of the complexity.

Thanks again to all who have replied and I welcome any additional thoughts or possible solutions.... Oh! and feel free to bash and ridicule me for my naivite with design and coding

I do love Xara Xtreme though!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Oh! and feel free to bash and ridicule me for my naivite with design and coding
    Talkgraphics isn't a forum where that is likely to happen. We'd rather *help and suggest* than mock and stipulate.
    You'll find plenty of friendly members here, so please never be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly they might at first appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I do love Xara Xtreme though!
    You're off to an excellent start then

Couldn't the text area with repelled text be grouped and exported as a JPG, then imported into the Dreamweaver page?
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Although text as an image is possible John, the text would look nasty as a JPG due to compression and would not be rendered precisely the same by the browser as the real text that appears on the same page.
    Also text as an image makes the site slower to download and is not searchable.

Even if it were possible, I can think of few things more annoying than trying to read the lines of text that are split in half to make space for this centred image - has the person asking for the effect considered how impractical his page would be?