Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can I embed a CMYK printer profile in Xara?

I am using a company called Modern Postcard for marketing postcards for some clients. On they website they recommend loading a CMYK printer profile that they supply to make sure that the colors I ma seeing on my monitor are actually what will be printed. They describe the process of loading the file in Photoshop. Does anyone know if I can apply this to Xara Pro? If not, how do I go about making sure that my colors are right? Here is the link to their page on this subject if anyone wants to look into it further. Maybe I'm not doing the best job of describing it?

http://www.modernpostcard.com/prepar...olor/#profiles

Thanks.
    Kurt

Default Re: Can I embed a CMYK printer profile in Xara?

Go to the XtremePro Help file and type 'ICC' in the field under the Index TAB.
    In the results, see topic 'ICC Profile Embedding'

This may help you?

I think that might work. It is PDF specific, but that is my preferred output format anyway. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Kurt

The problem is that you will see some color difference in Xtreme and your exported PDF with some profile.....

For now still there no options or some editable color managment in Xtreme to can add your own RGB to cmYK conversion profile and to can see trought it... default CMYK onscreen preview is some HP printer CMYK simulation, real CMYK you have after export to PDF trought some profile
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

There are many printers that try to make it hard for you to send them work and if you really want to do it right then you have to go through Advanced Options, then select one of the PDF X, go the the Pre_Press Tab, select Custom, go down to ICC Profile Embedding, then browse to Windows\System32\spool\drivers\ one of the many ICC profiles(see attachment.
    Then tick embed profile at the bottom of this Tab.

In all my time of getting things printed I have never been asked to embed a profile. many printers have asked for an AI file at a certain version which would include the profile but I refuse to use these printers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICC.png 
Views:	402 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	64946  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Your link is incorrect (at least it is in my Firefox browser). It think it should be http://www.modernpostcard.com/knowledge/all-about-color

Modern Postcard is a very excellent resource and has one of the better websites for helping you to prepare and submit your materials.

I would contact them and tell them you can submit a PDF/X file to their specifications and with the Standard Output Intent Profiles and ask their preference from these.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    There are many printers that try to make it hard for you [...] asked for an AI file at a certain version which would include the profile but I refuse to use these printers.
    Albacore, I have to agree with you. A printer should ideally work around your specifications and needs.
    In this day and age, everyone should be able to submit in PDF/X without problems to anywhere around the globe to receive exact color reproduction.

In the tender i'm sending out to printers, i'm specifying the file format I will submit - PDF/X always worked, with all text converted to shapes ("outlined" as they call it), directly exported from Xara.

I had two cases which specifically asked for an .AI, which i created by saving a PDF/X from Xara and imported it into Illustrator and saved it back as an .AI.

Usually when they ask what software i'm working with i'm replying by saying they will receive a high resolution PDF/X file with all fonts embedded, and usually they stop asking then. I try not don't mention xara first. The reason for this is printer companies panic if they hear of software they never heard of and assume to receive a 72dpi 16 color gif-file (or worse) for reproduction I can't blame them, some people send some low res jpg's and assume to receive a high gloss quality print results.