Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website

Default Website

The website at www.hishtilsa.com was built using XARA only.
    The more I use XARA the more it delivers. Perhaps XARA is leading the way in the search for 'simplicity on the far side of complexity' Could some. one create a
    small common icon that we can use to acknowledge the use of XARA to build sites. I am still in the process of compressing some of the images. The protracted downloading was something that only became apparent later (rather than sooner).

Default Re: Website

If I understand correctly.

See the Xara logos page http://site.xara.com/support/logos/
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

yes, you did..thanx

Thumbs up Re: Website

Nice clean design.

Great site. Very good presentations, easy on the eye.
    Rupert

Nice looking site.

You have a slight error in placement of the top " .... more" button on the home page. It shifts slightly when hovered. It should work more like the lower one.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If you're going to be doing a site with a lot of text in Xtreme, you should add lots more whitespace around text and increase the leading between lines of text. Currently, any increase in text size causes the text to run together quite badly.

Also, remove the slight negative text tracking (resulting in the 'letter-spacing: -0.002em' style), and use a font size in pixels, not points, to reduce the likelihood of the font size changing due to rounding and different OS DPI settings. (See attachment for how even a tiny amount of difference due to rounding off pixel units makes a mess in different browsers.)

The page is kind of unnecessarily wide: if viewed at less than full-screen SXGA it comes out lop-sided and needs horizontal scrolling (generally considered a Bad Thing). The forced padding at the sides doesn't help this; see if you can make the page only as wide as its actual content, then you could try using a background image to add the blue bar to the padding at the sides.

The nav links seem to wobble when hovered, are they lined up correctly? And on pixel boundaries and everything? Plus, if you want search engines to be able to find your site, you'll want to add a text-only navigation bar at the bottom for them to follow, until such time as Xara fix the HTML export to do hovers as proper links. (And change the 'index page 1' title, obviously.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hishtil.png 
Views:	340 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	50814  

I would agree with Bob, on that I use a screen resolution 1024 x 768 and I have to scroll horizontally. Very annoying. I would not stay at your site very long.
    And the page titles such as index page1, 2, 3 do not work very well for search engines.

But the look of the site is very nice.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by BobInce View Post
    ............you'll want to add a text-only navigation bar at the bottom for them to follow, until such time as Xara fix the HTML export to do hovers as proper links.
    What is wrong with the way Xara's links work?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What is wrong with the way Xara's links work?
    We have discussed this issue, particularly a lot with Bob. Currently all image links on the sites containing rollover/pop-up effects are implemented via java script and not the standard anchor (<a>) elements. This has some drawbacks.
    1. Such links don't work if browser has JS disabled.
    2. User have no right-click menu with usual options for the link (like open in new window).
    3. These links are invisible for the search engines.

I'm going to improve the situation with following releases by completely reworking rollover links implementation.
    John.